Employee referral bonuses

What are your opinions of giving bonuses to employees who refer new hires? Any success stories? Any failure stories?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So, there is no truth to the rumor that you and Pork opened an immigration consulting firm in a Mexican border town? I had begun to believe it.

At my last job, we implemented an employee referral program and it worked very well. As I recall, we paid one hundred dollars for every production worker hourly referral (the sheer numbers caused us to set it low), $300 for salaried, exempts and $500 for national sales directors.

There were rules like the bonus not paying out until six months on the job and the referred candidate absolutely had to list the referral source on the application or it had to be clear up front. No collusion six months later.

It was a great program. One thing I did with the policy posting was to mention a sunset date in the last line. "Unless specifically continued in writing, this policy and procedure will have an effective ending date (one year off)". That kept somebody from waving it in my face two years later after we stop it, saying they found it posted.
  • I discussed this very topic with someone today. I've run ads in the paper, hosted a job fair, and listed with Job Services. It's expensive, time consuming, and not very effective. I think your plan would work here. In order to refer people to your own workplace, you'd have to speak positively about it. It may prove to be a morale booster for more reasons than economic ones; for both the employer and the employee.
  • RAY A: Been away for a few days due to lightening strike and blown out telephones and computers. I know ya'll have missed ole PORK.

Not with standing Don's post above and thoughts of opening some recruiting and placement office on the border, I will say that we have a recruiting bonus program and it works.

I agree it must have sunsets and dates and "first referral" rules in order to properly administer the program. We give $100.00 after the new hire has been on board for 60 days. We award another $100.00 after the new hire has completed 6 months. It has been in place since I arrived, and it is a favoriate of the employees who no longer are provided with performance bonuses. We allow managers to also participate so they will go out and find reliable persons that will have a personal attachment to the manager and the company verses the HR getting credit for recruiting and placement. I and the GM do not participate for bonus money, but all other managers are allowed. The employee and the new hire must both be employed at the time of the award of the bonus award.

PORK
  • Pork reminded me of this added "feature": The officers and HR Director could not participate. I can just see me taking a $500 referral bonus.

Another thing that made it work, I think, was our constantly driving home the point that our workforce should be in the best of all positions to help select people they would want to work side by side with. Nobody wanted credit for making a dumb referral.
  • We have done this at times when we were looking for drivers. We have not hired a lot from this, but some. I found that the employees appreciate the opportunity to get involved, even if they didn't have a referral to make.
  • I must agree with the group. We do the referral program and after 90 days of employment we give a bonus of $100.00. The employees love it and we have been very successful. These referrals tend to be a bit more loyal.
  • Aha! You're back. Couldn't stay away.

Our company established a referral bonus of $250 in 2000. It has worked well for us with one negative, relatives.

When an employee recommends their son, mother, etc. and you do not hire them because they do not qualify for the position, you have an unhappy camper.
  • Yes Ritaanz I'm back. Somebody has to keep you in line and since I've been getting reports of you being naughty on the forum, I guess it's up to me to straighten you out.

I was looking for a negative experience too. We do tend to hire a lot of family members and even without a referral bonus we run into the occasional problem with hurt feelings because we didn't hire someone's relative.
  • RAY A: We hire relatives and terminate relatives and we have not found any negative feed back. performance, attendance , and tardy will get you in trouble regardless of your relations with family members. Just terminated the Warehouse managers son for performance and attendance issues. Father was disappointed but sorry he was given a chance to succeed and failed. He is now in trouble with the law for becoming a great "Home Cook and Lab Technician", we did not know he was so talented.

Everyone have a Blessed day.

PORK
  • Would you give larger bonuses to ees that recommended a new ee that just so happened to play a brass instrument, say for example, a trombone?
  • EE's who recommend trumpet players will get an additional 50%, those recommending trombone players will get a double bonus. Those who recommend oboe players will have to give me a bonus.
  • We pay $100 referral bonus when we hire someone referred by a staff member. If the new person is here one year later, we pay an additional $400. (Assuming the recipient of the $400 is still employed here!)

It is well received, and we have found a number of great people this way. Most times, the people hired by referral stay a year or more.

We do promote the bonus in our company newsletter on a regular basis.

Even before the referral program, people would recommend friends and relatives, and sometimes there were bad feelings if someone was not hired. Now, we tell people we will gladly look at a resume or application, but we do not guarantee an interview, much less a job. That has eliminated most post-hiring complaints. And, people still actively refer people to us

Jim
  • Raytoot: Better men have tried and failed.
  • Only because Rita and I want to see you do well Ray, so you'll get a nice raise, here's another factor. The bonus money is taxable as wages. With some bonus programs like referrals and perfect attendance and such, small bonuses turn into almost NO bonus once hit with taxes and 401k automatic contributions. Be sure to factor that in, if you think it's best. So, what they will recognize as a true $100 referral bonus could actually be a $135 bonus to gross up for taxes. I'm here to help you Raymond.