jury pay

03/04/05

I am located in Louisiana.

My question is: I understand that we are to pay employees for when they are called to the jury pool for one day. What do we do if they get selected for jury duty and are out for the whole week or the duration of the case?

Do we pay the employee for the whole duration and do not count it against sick leave, personal leave and such?

Cynthia Geers

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't believe there is a Federal requirement to pay for jury duty. You are required to allow the time off regardless of how long or how often the employee serves. You should check your state and your company policy on paying jury duty pay. Citizens are paid by the court for their service on jury duty. Some firms pay the difference. We pay the employee for all days served and in turn they must sign over the check they receive from the court.
  • We take the same approach S moll outlined. I am, however, in process of amending this policy to set a limit as to how long we will pay the differential. I am considering a 7 or a 14 day limit so we won't get stuck paying in the event one of our EEs gets on a Federal Grand Jury or one of those really long trials. We will hold their job, but cannot afford to pay for the extended jury duties.
  • I am in LA and agree with the other posts. LA law requires that we provide pay for one day for jury duty and that one day cannot be taken with any loss of pay or leave. Beyond the one day you are not required to pay them although many companies do provide some payment, many by paying the difference between what they earned at Jury Duty and would have earned at work (having them endorse their check from jury duty and paying them their regular salary would accomplish that). You could make it part of your policy that they MAY take personal leave (bur NOT sick leave as it is not sick time) for the time your company does not provide payment. An exempt employee will get paid if he only comes to work for one hour during the week, so I caution our exempt employees to be sure to work at least one hour; (we don't have a problem with that as they come to work whenever they are able to outside of the jury duty-it would be an issue if they were sequestered.)
  • We pay for full-time ees, but not part-time ees. FL pays only after someone has served at least three days, then it is retroed to the date they began jury duty. Paying for jury duty is a business decision here, check with your state/county to see if it is different for you.

I would not count it against sick leave/PTO unless the ee asks to be compensated this way. I view jury duty as a protected activity (PLA) so I would not count the absences either.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-07-05 AT 09:04AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We pay for up to two weeks of jury duty. If an ee serves in State Court, they do not get paid by the state if the employer pays the salary in full.
  • For full time employees we pay 8 hours a day for one week. After that we will hold their job, but no longer pay them. Our policy also states that if they are dismissed before noon they are to return to work for the rest of the day.
  • CBG1416: I defer to your "employee handbook", our company policy says we will pay the difference between the jury pay and a normal hourly rate for the period sitting in the "legal triangle". If the individual goes for 1 hour and is released to go to work the employee need only turn in the jury pay and we will substitute it for a normal hourly rate. Management employees are paid regardless of jury duty, therefore, they are to be working when they are not physically in court.

WELCOME TO THE FORM!

PORK