New Hire Dilemma

Here, I’ve got one laid in my lap at the end of the day. Maybe everyone can think about overnight and give some advice tomorrow. A supervisor called to say that they had just completed a hiring action that included interviews, and reference checks and had called and made a formal job offer to the successful candidate -- so far, so good. She then goes to the department in question and announces to the small group of women who work there, that beginning next week they will have a new co-worker and her name is thus-and-such and bla, bla, bla, and yada, yada, yada. As she’s leaving, one the ladies in that department (whom the supervisor describes as quiet, unassuming, hardworking and dependable) takes her aside and says, ”You can’t hire that woman, she’s my neighbor, and we don’t get along – in fact, we fight all of the time, she’s filed lawsuits against me, she’s slit my tires, if you bring her in here, I’ll be miserable and have to quit.” Remember, the former offer has been made and excepted and no, there’s no where else in the agency to move anyone to. I came up with a few options, but none that anyone liked. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Review the interview, answers and comments the new employee made, and determine if she may have made false statements to the interviewer that would make withdrawing the offer easy. It would also be wise to determine if there was problems between the two, who was the real problem. Even if she said she new of no one at your place of work, and really did, it would be grounds to withdraw the offer. Dig deep.

There is risks at withdrawing an offer, such as the person quit a job, moved, etc.

Sorry about your luck - in December the EEOC turned down an ex employee's charge and issued right to sue letter, and I'll be whipped if he didn't sue us (and request a court appointed attorney to represent him, to boot).

Good Luck!
  • I guess my first question would be, do you run criminal background checks? Does your employee have any documentation that she filed a police report on the tire incident and named the person?

There are always two sides to every story, and I have recently witnessed neighbors who just don't get along. It is the strangest thing I think I have ever seen.

With a formal offer in place, it might be best to take both women aside separately and state you have heard that they have issues with each other. Tell them your expectation is that all of these issues, be left at home. That you fully expect that all parties treat each other professionally (not that they have to like each other). That if they don't you will take swift action up to and including termination.

I had two employees who had recently broken up and they were pushing and shoving each other during a file drill/evacuation. When I approached, each said the other started it. I said I would fire both of them should I see their hands on each other again, basing it upon our anti-violence policy. Once they stopped accusing each other (because I had walked away about 15 feet, then turned around and watched them), they went their separate ways. I never had to have that conversation with them again.

Good luck, tough situation!
  • Here's what I would do:

1-I would sit the current employee down and counsel her on the expectations for professional conduct on-the-job. She needs to understand that regardelss of the relationship off-duty, both will be expected to behave in a civil manner and any hostilities will not be tolerated.

2-Make sure that the new employee goes through orientation just as anyone else and that she understands your policies on business conduct, professionalism, etc. I would not make any mention of what the other ee said just yet.

Sit back and carefully monitor the situation. You may just find that the new ee has enough common sense to keep the hostilities out of the new job and behaves in a civil manner.

Remember that you have received information that may or may not be factual. Take it for what is worth.

Gene

• thanks to all.............

geno
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-05 AT 02:34PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Lynn: I may be nuts, but I don't think one has a right to a court appointed lawyer when they sue someone. I think that applies only if one is charged by the government and is a defendant. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Would like to know.

(edit) I know how to find out. I'll post a question and draw a MS lawyer out of the woodwork.