Input Please!

We are going from a accrual pto system to a calendar year vacation sick.leave system. I have a headache :-( Previously we did anniversary date to anniversary date for EACH ee. It was a nigtmare.
Could someone please share with me your benefit package regarding this????
scorpio

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-05-05 AT 11:51AM (CST)[/font][br][br]During an employee's first year of employment, their vacation is given to them a year after their hire date. Hired on 1/5/05, vacation after 1/5/06.) However, if a new employee has worked 40 weeks as of 10/1 then they are given their vacation on 10/1 of the following year. Example: Employee is hired 11/13/04, they would have worked 40 weeks as of 10/1/05, so they would be given their vacation time and be able to take their days after 10/1/05. We do not allow any carryover into the next year for anyone.

After the employee's first year, we give all employees their vacation on January 1 of each year. It's been working well for us.

Edit: I forgot the sick leave. Our employees get two personal days (sick days) after they have been with the company for 90 days. Thereafter they are given their personal days on January 1, just like their vacation.
  • We give new hires 1 week after they work 90 days. After that we give the employee their full accrual on their anniversary date. We are a small company so it works well for us.
  • Not much help here, we accrue these items on a per payroll basis, pro-rated for short weeks worked during hire week or termination week. All vesting, etc. happens on the EEs anniversary date.
  • If you give a new hire a week after 90 days, what do you give after a year, two, five, ten, etc?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-05-05 AT 10:27AM (CST)[/font][br][br]five days of vacation after six months of employment. Beginning January of the second year of employment they have ten days and it stays at 10 until year 6 when it advances to 12.

(edit) Oh, wait a minute. You said sick leave. We don't have a sick leave program as such. Salaried employees who are sick are paid.

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**
  • We do 96 hours a year for both vac and sick. Accrued at 8 hrs each per month, starting with their first full month.
  • We have different lengths of vacation depending on the number of years an ee has been with the company. However, the formula is the same. After the ee has been full-time for one year, they receive hours toward their vacation allottment. Take the number of hours the ee is eligible to receive and divide by twelve. So for one month, an ee with one week of vacation accrues 3.33 hours of vacation (you can break this down as far as you want, we actually use per week, 0.84 hours, since most of our ees are paid weekly). We do the same for sick hours. Until this year, an ee earned twelve sick days a year, We added another holiday and reduced the number of sick days an ee can accrue to 8 days. Therefore, for each month, an ee can accrue 5.33 hours of sick time (1.33 per week). The formula is the same for any number of weeks of vacation or sick time. Just change the number of hours they are entitled to receive and divide by twelve.

If an associate resigns, or is discharged, before the end of the year, they receive the only the accrued benefits. We also do not roll any benefits over from year to year. Additionally, we do not pay out sick days if not used when employment is discontinued for any reason (retiremet, resignation, etc.).
  • We just started a new Sick time policy whereby all employees receive 1 sick day per month that can be carried over up to 65 days.

Vacation is accrued per pay period. If an employee is hired with 1 week vacation after one year, they accrue .77 hours per week. At the end of their 1st year, they will have about 1 week accrued.

If they need/want to use vacation time prior to actually earning it, they sign an Advanced Vacation Time form. If they choose to leave employment prior to earning the borrowed amount, that form (complete with signatures) authorizes us to withdraw the unearned amount from their final paycheck.

I will send you the form(s) if you'd like a copy.

Cheryl C.
  • When I worked for the government I think I racked up about two days per month 'annual leave' (vacation) and a day and a half sick leave and you could accumulate them up to about a million days. Totally insane now that I look back at it.

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**
  • We are union and accrue all time biweekly throughout the year. Management is treated the same way.
  • Thanks everyone for the input. Cheryl please send me the form - E-mail: [email]dmnuccio@flrad.com[/email].

Pork, yes, you are right me thinks we are doing the whole time off thing backwards also :-) Oh well! The biggest nightmare with PTO time was that it was set-up for anniversary to anniversary date. Had it been calendar year for all ee I could have lived with that!

scorpio
  • Cheryl, is there any way you can send me the Advanced Vacation Time form?
    jleggitt@chemsw(dot)com
    I appreciate your help!
  • SCORPIOHR: This is strange, I thought the trend was to go to PTO, here your company is going back to the more common ole approach.

We give our nonexempt employees vacation and sick time/hours based on their hours worked during the last 52 weeks. On the last pay period of the month of November each year, we pay out all sick hours not used because on December 1 the computer program will look back on all nonexempt payroll records compute and allocate a new set of sick hours to be used before the last day of November the next year.

Vacation is awarded on the anniversary date of the employee. We also payout the vacation time not used before the computer drops the hours and replaces them with a new set of vacation hours awarded.

We pay out both vacation and sick hours upon departure, if the employee gives us a written notice of seperation. Otherwise, only the vacation time is paid out upon seperation of our employee/employer relationship.

EXEMPT employee usage of sick and vacation time is a "manual spreadsheet for time" into which we input and apply the same rules for the leadership employees. We have only begun to do this since the creation of the new FLSA and the replacement of sick hours and regular hours worked in any week or vacation hours in anyone week. Otherwise, it was a managment issue and the department heads took care of the management chain days off for vacation and sick days by scheduling.

PORK