Keyboard Testing (typing)

Do any of your organizations require the administration of a typing/keyboard test to clerical/secretary applicants and if so what is the wpm (words per minute) requirement?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We currently require 45 wpm for a secretary, and 6,000 kpm for our data entry folks. I hate to say it, but finding secretaries with good experience that can type 45 wpm is difficult in our market.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-15-04 AT 11:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Tom - Would you be willing to share the test you use? And yes, i agree it is difficult to find someone with good skills! My email address is [email]jlutz@lsnj.org[/email].
  • NJJEL: We no longer worry about WPM for out recep/sec. Our test now is, is she/he capable of turning on the computers and bring up the appropriate program and can he/she use the system to produce a document ready to be mailed out. Can they use "desk top publisher" and "excel". A interviewee will prove real quick if they are competent in the systems we apply.

PORK
  • 40 wpm and 8,000 numeric kph - both at a minimum of 98% accuracy.
    If you do not want to invest in a testing software, there is a website, [url]www.mrkent.com[/url], that has great tutorials and testing. If I have an applicant that may be rusty on typing or 10 key and don't quite hit our minimum, I suggest they use this for practice and a great number do, come back to re-test and do very well.
  • Yes, we use a test, and I'd argue that it's an absolute necessity. We use different speed requirements for different positions, beginning at 45 wpm for an entry level position. My Admin Asst types approximately 100 wpm, and types about 2 hours a day. Imagine what would happen to productivity in my office if she typed 30 wpm. We don't have anyone in our administrative offices who types less than 85 wpm.(Not including me, of course!) I also agree that it is difficult to find good typists now. I have applicants put down that they can type 30 wpm and think that's good.
  • dpending on the position, a minumum req for me is at least 50 WPM. however, i am of the opinion that the speed typed per minute is not quite as important as the accuracy with which one types. so much for speed if they have to keep retyping due to typod (oops, typo's).

so long from kentucky!

• We require 60 wpm for any clerical position, and yes, I do time the test-I am amazed at how many people put "above 50 cwpm" on their application and then can barely do 25, and even then with errors. I vote for testing.
  • Ye. We do.

I administer and score the typing test. And I'm a stickler for correct typing. Nothing gets by me at awl.
  • I'm the odd man out here. I didn't realize anybody had secretaries and typists anymore with a PC on every desk.
  • If any of you are willing to share the test you use please email me at [email]jlutz@lsnj.org[/email]. Thanks much.
  • You are one of the odd men out. I guess we have some personnel with that title but they do so much more than the perceived "secretarial" duties. We have recently had some employees state they want a job typing letters and filing paperwork, but long gone are those jobs. At least, that is what I thought. It definitely is gone where I work.
  • I use a software testing package called TapDance for typing, data entry, 10-key, math, grammar, spelling, Word and Excel. The tests required depend on the title applied for. Once the software is installed, the program prompts the applicants through the process and grades the results. Other than grading on the Word and Excel tests, it's all very slick.

The wpm requirement varies depending on the position. Some just require the ability to type in general up to about 65 wpm minimum. The testing package does break down speed and errors.
  • Very interesting. Do you recall the price?
  • According to their website ([url]www.tapdance.com[/url]) the package I bought 3 years ago is $799 for a single license. That license allows you to install it on one computer and use the software as much as you want. Of course, you can purchase multiple licenses if needed.
  • WOW! $800 is a large nut for us to turn seeing as we are non-profit. I have SIX offices that I test in. Does anyone know of a test that is less expensive or free? I did check out the one site recommended above however their test is just a one liner and a true determination of speed and accuracy can't be made from just one line.
  • I did a quick google and found a lot of inexpensive options. I typed in 'Typing Tests'.
  • I ran this by a manager in our company, and she created her own typing test using Microsoft Word. It's pretty easy and free. $$$

She prints out some documents just like the ones they'll type if they're hired -- letters, data, etc. Open a blank Word document (with spell-check turned off) and have them type for five minutes. After they're done, do a word count and spell check. If you're doing numbers instead of words, use the "compare documents" feature in Word.

This lets you compare applicants' speed and accuracy however you want. For each mistake, my friend subtracts 5 from their words per minute. So 50 words per minute with one mistake would equal 45 wpm.

My motto: "If it's free, it's for me!" x:D

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com