Nurses Sign Dr. Note

Until today I have never received a doctor's note signed by the nurse and wondered if any of you have and if so do you accept it? Typically I have seen where they sign the doctor's name and then place their initials after it. She also signed the FMLA Certification of Health form with her name (and not that of the health care provider). I'm tempted to not accept this and to ask for the doctor's signature. What do you all think?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It states on the FMLA form that the signature is that of a "health care provider". Unless the nurse is treating the employee, she or he should not be signing this form as a health care provider.

I have seen a doctor's signature stamp on these forms, so it is highly likely the nurses, in some cases, do complete them. At least it is the doctor's stamp and not the nurse's signature on the form.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-07-04 AT 12:35PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Typically, we require a M.D. or a D.O. on FMLA certification....but for "I was out sick" excuses, we accept the form, as long as it doesn't look fishy.

Many offices are far too busy to have the dr. sign these forms...and in some cases the office doesn't even want to see the person, but will give them an excuse. (The standard flu, for example..2-3 days, you're better, but no need to see the doctor, but maybe long enough to need a slip for work)...in these cases, whoever is standing at the front desk will sign.

It makes it hard for us to keep a consistant policy, because we're not comfortable dictating how a medical office should be run...

edit...and in some practices...you only see the nurse, unless you have something serious. My GYN's office is that way...I've never seen my doctor, ever.
  • I see. However I assume that you see a nurse practictioner and not a front desk secretary?
  • I would call the doctor's office and clarify the situation. Perhaps the nurse got the information from the patient's chart that the doctor had entered.
  • In a FML manual I have, it defines who are health care providers under both the Federal and WI FML. They are as follows:

Doctor of Medicine
    Doctor of Osteopathy
    Nurse
    Physician Assistant
    Physical Therapist
    Pharmacist
    Chiropractor
    Clinical psychologist
    Speech-language pathologist or audiologist
    Podiatrist
    Dentist
    Optometrist
    Respiratory care practitioner
    Athletic trainer
    Dietician
    Occupational therapist or Assistant
    Acupuncturist
    Social woerk, marriage and family therapist or professional counselor.

I do not know off hand if any of these are just under the WI law, but it would be worth looking into for your situation.

I hope this helps you!