Discrimination of single employees?

2»

Comments

• This has been an interesting thread.
    Company Morals vs. Company Morale.

I think the best way for the company to maintain it's moral stance without affecting morale is to do as suggested and only pay for the employee.

This way if the ee wishes to bring a spouse or SO is entirely up to them. And if they even want to hold hands or even kiss (I know it's shocking, but it's 2004 now x;-) ) that's their decision also.

Good luck.

• "Pork:
    Thanks for your info. I appreciate you perspective on the matter. We hadn't realized that might be a problem. The cruise is over a Friday and a Monday. We were planning on paying them for those days, but maybe I'll have to check on whether or not we have to pay them for Saturday and Sunday. Thanks!"

Oh man! Am I reading this right? Is the reason single's can't bring someone because it's an 'over-nighter'? If that's the case, then I'm laughing my behind off right now!
  • Now, MWild, you're assuming facts not in evidence by drawing the conclusion that singles aren't allowed guests because it's an overnighter.

I think it's simply a matter of wanting to reward employees AND their spouses and penalizing those of us who have the good sense NOT to have spouses. x;-)
  • Beag - you took the words right out of my mouth. xclap How did you do that? Must be a Northwesterner's thing. :-?
  • Because you're just down the road from me, Cinderella. I'm reading over your shoulder with my binoculars. x;-)
  • You got it mwild. After I read post 19, I almost went up in smoke:

"The issue is definately a moral based. On our normal "Company Parties", the employees are encouraged to invite friends and family. But because this is an "over-nighter", the moral issue has come up."

Wow. The intent is to discriminate based on marital status - or lack thereof - and life style! Huh.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-01-04 AT 07:00PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Oh geez! I missed post #19 - so, I was right, although late in the process Parabeagle.

To the original poster: Why don't you skip the overnight cruise and opt for a nice dinner? As an employer and, yes I'll say it, as a human being, stay out of people's bedrooms. How can you be sure that the married folks will conduct themselves appropriately just because they're married? How do you know fights won't break out or people decide to switch partners or ask others to join them? The answer is you can't. Nice idea, but it's too messy. Next you'll have folks asking if they can borrow the keys to the car on Friday night or if it's okay for Johnny to come over to play. You're a business, not parents.
  • what about people who were married in San Francisco, Vermont or Canada?
  • Darn tootin'!!! Too many cans of worms being opened simultaneously I say. Do the two ticket deal - have the ee chose just like with the picnic I say or don't let a guest come at all. Or just send the money you would've spent on the guests to me so I can buy a new car. There's a solution!

PS My x:o face was for Parabeagle and his sneaky ways but the thread kicked it out into a weird space.
  • Aren't there laws against that? ... =p~

• All very interesting. My thought is this: what kind of a reward is it to be given something that's going to cost you and your family a substantial amount of money that you probably haven't planned for??? I'd vote (instead of the cruise which is a very sticky wicket) for a fabulous night on the town - dinner, theatre, parting gift - all done in great style, and pay for ee and one guest of choice.
  • I agree with HR Rat Race and HR Gddss on this one. I am a single female attorney handling HR for my company. I have been dating a man for over a year now. We are heading towards marriage but not quite there yet. To be categorized as someone without family values is offensive. To place someone on their 4th marriage as having family values and worth more of a company investment is ridiculous! Our company had a Christmas party last year and did the same thing, i.e., they sponsored an extravagant dinner and employees and spouses were invited but not boyfriends/girlfriends. None of the single employees went because we felt that we would be a third wheel. Company management was very upset and said it put a damper on the party, especially since it was to reward all employees for a successful year and by not allowing them to bring their significant others gave them the impression that they weren't as valuable. It was a huge mistake. Why does the company feel that it's up to them to decide who has family values and who doesn't anyway? Just because they pay their paycheck? If so, why do they even want these employees on payroll? I think this would be worthy of a legal challenge. Whether it would be successful is another story, but I'd like to see it play out.
  • Watson-

Have an email I could chat with you on? [email]sesamechicken74@yahoo.com[/email]

(I think you have a cool job and one I'm heading towards- hopefully!)