Employee Resigned

Our company has recently decided, due to financial reasons, to eliminate a full-time janitorial position (the only one) and subcontract the work. This was done after examining the actual work load of the individual versus the cost of the contractor.

Anyway one of the issues at this point is the shoveling. In the past the janitor completed the shoveling as necessary and now it is being transferred to the Maintenance department. The actual amount of shoveling is minimal because we also have a snow blower.

Now I have BOTH (we only have two) maintenance personnel telling me they cannot due snow shoveling due to back problems. They have both received notices to get any medical restrictions certified and we would examine what, if anything, could be done. The first employee seems fine with this and has made his appointment. The second one, however, is VERY angry.

His issue is that we have FMLA paperwork on file stating that he has a back condition (which we do) and that this should be sufficient. I calmly explained that the doctor has not written any restrictions for him so if there is something, we need it verified. He refused. Not only did he refuse but spent at least 10 minutes hollering and swearing at me telling me how ridiculous this is, etc., etc.. About 10 minutes after that he walked into the Manufacturing Director's office and gave his verbal two week notice. Now the MD is telling me that if this employee comes back and apologizes he will allow this person to rescind their resignation. I'm hoping he doesn't.

Does anyone see a problem with the way this was handled?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The only thing wrong is the fact that your MD is a wimp and would even consider letting him rescind their resignation. Other wise looks like it was handled fine, as evidenced by the reaction of the one normal person.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • An appology is not enough. He already showed his attitude. No way would I allow him to recind the resignation. Inf fact, send a letter accepting the verbal notice. If that can't be done, be careful, he may mysteriously become injured during the first snowfall.
  • I agree. I think wimp is putting it nicely.

I would tell your MD that by allowing the employee to come back, he/she is sending a message that its ok for people to yell and swear at you. (in addition to other issues) You might be rather blunt about this, or merely state that this is a concern for you as it affects your ability to properly carry out your job. Depends on your MD's temperment.

AluminumBoy would hit him right between the eyes with it. It's not ok for people to talk to you that way and you want his/her support. TELL him/her you want the support.

I hope you were clear with the swearing employee that that type of behavior is not acceptable. Say what you mean, but don't say it mean.
  • The employee should be disciplined for either refusing to do his job (shoveling) or shouting and screaming at you. You take your pick. If they allow him to rescind his resignation they set a bad precedence.
  • You're right on target. The job changed, you gave notice about the changes & asked to have medical restrictions certified. He has "fmla paperwork" (unclear how this relates unless he's currently covered) in his file, but it doesn't sound as though there are any restrictions. It's up to him - not you to get these restrictions in his file. If you don't get the restrictions & you allow him not to do the work because of his temper tantrum, then holy smokes - you're in for it with precedence (with him and other ee's). I mean, what's to stop anyone from picking and choosing what they want to do on the job?

The swearing & unprofessional behavior is alarming (sickening really), but it sounds as though the MD is okay with it - MD's the boss - so you have to be as well. Although, the cynic in me x}> says that if the ee swore & got angry with the boss, it would be a different story. Good luck & stick to your guns on precedence setting.
  • Shoveling and swearing aside, you will regret eliminating the janitorial position. This is the lowest paid position you have in the staffing pattern. Companies typically make the mistake of eliminating the janitor and the receptionist and later realize they really screwed up. This is not about snow on the sidewalk. This is about body count. You've got it all wrong.
  • >Does anyone see a problem with the way this was
    >handled?

In addition to the posts above, I would add that 10 seconds into the yelling and swearing the gentleman in question would have found himself outside of my office, if not the building itself.
  • Not to turn this in to another issue, but it's easy for a man to say they'd have the employee outside the office within 10 seconds. It could be very intimidating, if not scary, for a woman to have a man yelling and swearing at her. If this sounds sexist, fine. It does make a difference.

I'm not arguing, just giving a woman's perspective - (this one's anyway).

But I agree - don't take him back.
  • I want to thank everyone for their responses and provide an update...

Now, PLEASE don't come down on me but the employee is still working for us. It was not the decision of the MD but that of myself and the Plant Manager. Let me explain...

This employee DOES have a history of doing good work, although there are some other problems, and is usually pretty easy to work with. What we decided was to give him a 3-day suspension, a mandatory referral to our EAP for anger management, and a list of other items, in order for him to remain an employee. I feel better going this route because his fate is now in his hands. He has been made to understand, and has signed, that any further occurrences of this will result in his termination.

I know some of you will think me "soft" for doing this but I want to make sure we have provided every chance for the employee to improve.
  • I don't think you're soft LindaS - sounds like you handled it fine & hopefully the ee will realize this as well. What's the update on the med. cert. though? Is the ee going to provide the med. restrictions?
  • The EE is still required to provide the medical certification. Didn't budge on that one, thanks for asking. Thanks, also, for your support.