Clunky Shoes

We have had a couple of incidents lately where employees (female) have been injured going down flights of stairs because of the backless "clunky" shoes that some women are wearing. This has caused at least two work injuries in the past couple of months.

Do any of you have anything in your dress code or any other policy that would prohibit the wearing of these shoes in the workplace?

Don't know how enforceable this would be or if there is any way to even prohibit this. (Seems to me the smart thing to do would be to hold onto the railing)

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You must consider accommodating these girls. Call the Dover people and get a quote started for an elevator.
  • If they had any intelligence, they wouldn't wear the shoes. #-o That aside, we have a rule in place. No problem with the factory workers. The problem was the office workers. However, the problem hasn't arisen since we sent two ees home.

• Wadayamean, intelligence!! They're lacking grace! I like my clunkers - all of them. And who's to say the new "stiletto" shoes are any safer?

Here's an idea: save the elevator installation expense and contract a charm school to come in and teach posture, poise, and grace.

By the way, those injuries would not be covered in Maryland.

• I am assuming Don D's response to be somewhat tongue in cheek. More to the point, assuming the stairway is building code and OSHA compliant (e.g. railings, pitch, etc.) then you have a recognized hazard. If using the stairs is a part of normal job duties, then I would instruct those who use it that appropriate footwear is a requirement of the job. Two injuries in a couple of months is too many. You do not want to wait for someone to break their neck and then have to explain why you didn't take action when there was a recognized hazard.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-10-04 AT 11:14AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We had an injury partly attributable to backless shoes (walking down stairs). Backless shoes are no longer allowed on the production floor. Hazard assessment complete.

edit: We focused on backless. The issue was not "clunky" here.

• Our dress code requires "closed" shoes for both men and women...this doesn't prevent ee's from wearing mules,sometimes you just don't notice...but we feel this will help cover us, in the event that someone is hurt.

• Thanks guys! I guess I call anything backless a "clunky" shoe as that's the sound it makes on a hard floor.

Just curious Smoll...how do you get around this being noncovered in Maryland?

• OK. My "backless" shoes are not clunky. They fit. You're going to have to update your shoe code again when female office personnel get the stiletto heal caught in the carpet nap or the floor matts.
  • Oh GROANNNNNN! I give up. Why can't they just wear oxford laceups?
  • Because oxford laceups would clash with the leopard micro mini... duh! 8-|

We require closed shoes for all employees. You wanna wear something else at your desk fine, but if you leave your cubicle, the shoe best not "slap".

I am required to wear steel toed shoes, very attractive with a suit - but better that than drop a sheet of 1/2" glass on my toe.

Tammy
  • Personally I like a woman in a thin pin-striped navy suit with laced up, calf-high, steel toes. They're a nice compliment to the french braid. None of the men where I work wear backless shoes. Or shirts. We're still behind some regions of the country. They all wear socks as well. Everybody in the manufacturing area must wear closed heel and closed toe, non-canvas shoes. The only stairs we have are to the gym and nobody wears stilettos to the gym unless it's the lady who carries that small whip in her leather purse. If this thread stays up long enough we'll be hearing from Pork about what the female pig-pullers are required to wear.
  • When did you start peeking in my office window?
    x:-8
    I thought I'd closed the blinds.

On a more serious note - We wrote our policy to include all employees, office and production, so that there would be no questions.

Tammy
  • >Personally I like a woman in a thin pin-striped
    >navy suit with laced up, calf-high, steel toes.
    >They're a nice compliment to the french braid.
    >None of the men where I work wear backless
    >shoes. Or shirts. We're still behind some
    >regions of the country. They all wear socks as
    >well. Everybody in the manufacturing area must
    >wear closed heel and closed toe, non-canvas
    >shoes. The only stairs we have are to the gym
    >and nobody wears stilettos to the gym unless
    >it's the lady who carries that small whip in her
    >leather purse. If this thread stays up long
    >enough we'll be hearing from Pork about what the
    >female pig-pullers are required to wear.

Don? None of the guys where you work wear shirts? I wanna come visit!

• I knew it! I knew it! As soon as I re-read my post I knew Rockie or some other vigilant woman would call my hand on that one. Yes, I meant back-less shirts.
  • I've been looking for clunky heeled shoes, with a thin strap in the back and steel toes, but they don't seem to make it.
    I have interviewed people wearing my suit, appropriate accessories and steel-toes shoes who have stared and stared at my feet (but are afraid to ask).
  • To answer Rockie: In the State of Maryland an injury sustained while at work must connect to an employer liability somehow. The Maryland Workers' Compensation Statute requires that "an injury sustained by an employee arising out of and in the course of his/her employment, to be compensable, must be accidental or involve unusual circumstances." There's nothing unusual about walking up or down steps. Now if the employee slipped on something on the steps or tripped over a hazard on the steps, it would be compensable.

Shoe restrictions here apply to our Public Works, Police, and Parks & Recreation Department; not to administrative offices.

Oxfords??!!

• Smoll - that's very interesting and I agree with it. Why should the company have to pay for an injury caused by a fashion faux pax?

Anyway, the Oxfords would only apply if they were Manolo Blanicks.

• At the risk of sounding like a "po folk," what is a Manolo Blanicks? Never saw them in Wal-Mart.

• If there is a Wal-mart on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills you might see them there.
  • Nah...that's what those "Sex and the City" gals wear on their show. Those very high,skinny heels that will break off in a heartbeat!
  • Do you think your Maryland legislature could influence our Oregon legislature and adopt the same protocol? Make my life easier, that's for sure.

And I have the solution to this entire dilemma - oxblood wingtips for everybody as a matter of policy! x;-)
  • That would be a fashion mistake: oxblood with brown leather.
  • Instead of the shoes, could it be the stairs themselves ? Way back, before I came to the States, I did work at a garment manufacturer - where the steps were narrow in depth and people were falling down, slipping , breaking ankles and feet. We all knew what happened when we suddenly saw a fellow employee on crutches.

Chari
  • Good point. About 3 years ago I was the grace-less person in our office to fall down some stairs and it was because the heel of my closed back shoe caught the carpet. No need for crutches...only strong pain meds.
    Cheryl C.
  • Watch out for Parabeagles analysis of women's shoes. He's also weighed in several times on the gynocological column. This guy is slippery.