Incentives for Driver

To those employers out there with driver employees:

Would you please share how you retain this group of employees? We have a difficult time keeping them in our crew. Please share with us your success stories. Thanks much.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Drivers are a hot commodity right now, and there is expected to be a shortage of drivers next year with the new DOT regulations. Good pay, benefits, not enough hours/mileage and decent home time are the reasons I hear drivers want to leave their current employers. They also leave because they are lied to about these things in the beginning.
    We have good retention with our drivers because we are very competitive in these areas and try to create a good work environment.
  • Damien,
    Could you share with me your good retention scheme? What kinds of competitive benefits you offer? Thanks.
  • I agree with Damien when it come to drivers. Our company has a a low turn over compared with other trucking companies.
    One of the things we have found is that some drivers no matter what you do will not stay. However, the way you treat them makes a difference.
    Keep them in the loop on what is happening and run some contests. Such as one we ran for log books. That over the next 4 months all drivers that had no violations on log book audits would receive a cash bonus and those drivers would be placed into a pool with one driver pulled from the pool getting a paid getaway to one of the resorts near our area.
    If you have a news letter spotlight a driver a month on doing whatever with a picture. Maybe the driver receives a jacket. Last, year all the drivers that made the million mile club received a plaque along with a very nice leather jacket that included a patch showing a million mile safe driving. The same for our two million mile club.
    When drivers feel they are appreciated and are an important part of the company and you clearly state the rules, enforcing them in an even handed manner drivers will stay.
    The better you make them feel and that they have a voice the easier it is to retain drivers.