Post-hire drug test

We use a post-hire drug test that all applicants agree to take upon being hired. On the job application form the statement "will you take a drug test if hired."
The problem, is that so far all have agreed to take the test. The forms are filled out, the drug test is given, the training people take the new hires under their wings and start training.

Usually in 36 hours the test is back. If it is positive, the new hire is let go.

yes, we tell everyone, on the app, while interviewing, etc, the company is a drug free work place.

My question is, after being hired, can we ask before the test is given, "Is there any reason that you feel this test may, come back positive?"

What, I'm trying to save is the cost of the test, the forms that we have to send off to several state agencies to see if they have criminal records, and the (up to 2 days) training costs.

Thanks,

Carl

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you really think anyone would answer yes? What if they say no but it comes back positive anyway? Why don't you just make the drug test a condition of being hired. You'd atleast save on the 2 days training costs.

• I agree with Rad. We do not hire until we receive the test results so we don't have all the paperwork to fill out, training to be done etc if the result is positive. We usually receive a negative result within 24 hours, so it isn't much of a hinderance.

Elizabeth

• Anyone who says "yes" will surely do so based on prescription drugs they are taking (which they think might interfere with the test). In that case, you will have gotten medical information that you don't really need and that you cannot use to refuse to hire the employee.

Most employers make the test "post offer, pre hire", that way, they don't waste training resorces, because the employee does not report to work until the test results come back. You might want to try that approach. Also, if they haven't started work yet, some may not show up for the test, which is a red flag that they would have been positive.

Good Luck!
  • I agree that you should make this drug test pre-employment. We used to do a post-hire test. I would go through the orientation, paperwork, etc. only to have a test come back positive. Not only was it a waste of my time but you may have an employee working for you who is under the influence and may cause an accident. I think it would be to your advantage to make it a pre-employment test.
  • I agree with all the rest. Your best bet would be to switch to pre-employment drug testing and provide them with a certain amount of time to get the test taken (I use 24 hours). Think about this...you make a person a job offer, contingent on passing a drug screen AFTER they start. They start two weeks from today so they now have two weeks to figure out HOW they're going to pass this test. Way too much time in my book. If you change it to pre-employment, you call the person on the phone, "Hi ____ I'd like to offer you a position with our company...I need you to take a drug test within the next 24 hours". Much less time for them to figure a way to get around the test. You have also saved the company money from training as well.
  • How about using a saliva test? That reduces the time even more and would be a real suprise to the potential employee. Call them in to do paperwork for a hire and then say open wide. The problem with a 24 hour window they can clean up a lot.
  • eeewww..the saliva test sounds nasty. I think I would agree with the others just do pre-employment..Once you call them and tell them 24hrs. most people will have a reason they do not want the position...like I said MOST x:)
  • where do you find this type of test????
  • we pre-employment test using an on-site test. costs less than $4 and results in a few minutes. On the 1 in 50 that are positive we do a second test (immediately) at a local hospital. Saves us alot of money.
  • what test do you use that only costs $4.00:
  • This is my first time on the forum. What kind of test do you give on-site that cost $4.00?
  • An opposing point of view.... I used to do pre-hire testing, but when we moved to our new facility I switched to post-hire. Our facility is 30 miles from our provider and many from the applicant pool are even further away - up to 75 miles. I found that good applicants who were unfamiliar with the location of the hospital we use, would just not show up and look elsewhere for a job. I have a technician from the hospital come in once or twice a month to do both the randoms and the "pre-screeens". We have very little fallout from the prescreens, probably 3 out of the last 80 we hired. More commonly, when we tell people that they must submit to a drug screen, they just don't show up. No paperwork, no orientation, and no wasted training.
  • We are very lucky as that our test site is less than one mile away. I tell applicant when I set up an interview that if we offer a job at the interview they will have to test that day following interview or we rescind the offer. We also require them to pay for the test ($35), if it comes back neg. we reimburse them on the first day of work, positive and they have bought themselves a drug test. I get results back in two days. Once I rec. a neg result I THEN do the background checks. Otherwise there is no reason to. We have not had any positive results since we have required app. to pay for the test!
  • Sure Carl, go for it. And I'll give you a dollar for every new hire who answers, "Well, yes, it may come back positive...now, excuse me, which way is the orientation room?"

I've never heard of a saliva test that's approved for drug testing. And speaking of 'cleaning up' in a 24 hour period, that's impossible for the majority of illegal drugs.

I also agree that you should figure a way to postpone your expensive orientation and signup program and wait for the results. Ours is a 24 hour turnaround.
  • Our drug tests are pre-employment, post offer as required by state law. Check your state to see if they have a similar law. Most people have to give some type of notice at their existing positon, so that should give you some leeway in terms of time. We schedule within 24-48 hours and usually have the results back in a day or two. No employees are allowed to start until negative results are recieved.