How long to wait before disciplinary action

We've got an employee whose beginning to show some downward problems in performance. This has been brought to the employees supervisor a few times in the past couple of months and these employees are avoiding this particular employee. When the supervisor spoke to this employee about their performance; the response is I have not been taking my meds; it was asked why; they do not make me feel good; to back up slightly, in the past we have walked with this employee through many personal issues and do not wish to terminate. At the moment our agency is going through many changes and all employees are being asked to use as much of their vacation time as quickly as possible. Anyhow, once this employee returns from leave, everything is fine for a couple of weeks and slowly performance starts to fail once again. How should we handle? What would you say to this employee? When would you put something in their personal file? The employees job is the first person a customer sees and listens to when they call asking for someone. Any help on this one is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• >to back up slightly, in the past we have walked with this employee
    >through many personal issues and do not wish to terminate. At the
    >moment our agency is going through many changes and all employees are
    >being asked to use as much of their vacation time as quickly as
    >possible.

As long as you (employer) are not willing to consider the reality that eventual termination may be the appropriate course of action, I don't guess I have any comment.

• Our company has "walked" with ee's through many personal issues in the past to a point that it has disturbed operating procedures, taken up man hours and has even resulted in destruction of property. We care but there comes a point that we have to realise that we are a business and the bottom line still exists.In the last 4 years I have had to become a great deal more hard hearted than I ever expected and I am still more compassionate than most of upper management. These were hard lessons to learn. I do the job for the company and then go HOME and feel for the employees.
  • Don is correct. If your company is not willing to face the hard fact that your employee might have to leave at some point there's not much we can do to help. It's not magic. You have to be able to use the carrott AND the stick with equal fervor.
  • I would treat her like any other employee with a performance problem, but as noted, your post seems to carry a confusing message. .you don't want to treat her like any other employee. . .which despite good intentions may actually not be in her best interest. I don't see the situation getting any better without some intervention.
  • I don't disagree with the other posters on their basic position that you do need to address the issues with the employee. But a couple of them imply that discharge is clearly down the road if the employee doesn't straighten up in performance. It may be, however, you have made a couple of statements that raise additional issues that you need to resolve before going down the road they suggest.

You mention that the emplyee takes medication which seems to help improve his performance but then he stops taking it because it makes him "feel bad."
    Is this employee disabled under federal ADA or a similar law in New Hampshire (I'm not familiar with New Hampshire laws.) ADA of course, does require that an emplyer reasonably accommodate a qualified ADA-disabled employee so that he or she can perform the essential duties of the job, if needed. If the emplyee has made known a disability that impacts his or her ability to successfully perform the job, then the employer would be obligated to provide reasonable accommodations that would allow that to occur BEFORE discharging the employee (since you mention that he or she takes medication, your employer would seem to be aware of a medical condition that could be a disability).

For the sake of identifying the particular issues involved if he or she does fall under ADA, let me mention that if the employee is taking medication that mitigates or the remedies the impairment so that he or no longer is substantially impaired in a major life activity, then the employee is not disabled and therefore no reasonable accommodation would have to be made.
    However, if the medication itself results in a significant impairment of a major life activity then that would still make the employee disabled under ADA.

I say this because you mention that the employee at times doesn't take the medication because it makes him or her "feel bad." That's a pretty nebulous term. But assuming the "feel bad" is substantive in nature, I note that that may be a justifiable reason for the employee not to take the medication. At least one lower court case in the took that situation into account in holding that an employee was disabled even though the employee was not using his hearing aid that would correct the problem becuase it created additional noises. As with the rest of ADA issues, cases like this become indvidual assessments. Thus in other cases, courts have not accepted employee's explanations for not taking prescribed medicationsand have held the employee not to be disabled or relieved of responsibility for their actions or poor performance.

Thus, if ADA is applicable here and the employee is not taking prescribed medication that would correct the impairment, whether or not he remains disabled (and thus entitled to reasonable accommodation) is a tricky question. You should discuss the matter with legal counsel versed in ADA and employment law before pushing the position "improve your performance or your fired."

But again, your company does need to start addressing the issues with the employee. It doesn't have to be a negative approach and in the long run may help the employee in dealing with a disability or the medical condition,if it is not a disability.

Finally, there is one last consideration, based upon what you posted. Again, because it is unclear what your statement regarding medication and helping the employee, you may be inadvertently treating or regading the employee as disabled when he or she is not. I admit in regard to my entire post that merely taking medication doens't mean the individual is disabled uner ADA. But either you need to make that clear in your post or evaluate the situation under ADA with the employee in all of its aspects.
  • Hatchetman,

Great response. I am very impressed.

Did you really write this at 1 in the morning.

Sandi
  • Thank you all for your posts. This employee has depression and has been hospitalized in the past for her depression. This employee is currently in counseling and as she begins to feel better comes off the medication and doesn't realize the outcome she is causing. Certain instances have been brought to her attention like not giving a proper phone message or being snappy to a client. Her supervisor has tried to speak with her about seeing another doctor, what about changing medications that don't upset her or make her feel so uneasy. How far can we go without getting to personal? Overall this employee is a good worker until she is off her medications for some time. Should we be calling this doctor and informing them on changes we see? Maybe he/she might have a better understanding of what is happening?
  • I feel for you on this one. Reading your question, I assumed depression was the problem. It's a very difficult situation. We too try hard to help our employees who are experiencing severe health issues. As I've read over and over from this forum, in the end, you have to look at work performance (after you've dealt with FMLA and ADA). This employee has to come to the realization that they have to help themselves - they need to work with their doctor about the problems with the medication. Any medication may have side effects; they can be changed if the side effets are too severe. Your employee needs to determine which is more important - functioning better with some side effects, or stopping the medication and not being able to function well enoughh to do her job.

Follow Hatchetman's suggestions first, and if you have done everything you need to do from a legal perspective, then decide how much poor performance you are willing to tolerate. You cannot call her physician without her permission, of course, and the employee may or may not want you to. Not knowing the situation, I don't have a better answer. Just be cautious about her privacy rights.

This may be more than you wanted. I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching.

Good luck,

Sandi
  • Hatchet and Sandi have added some excellent feedback. .As an aside, I worked with people with Mental Health disabilities for many years. Non compliance with medication was a major problem (as it seems you are learning) There were 2 major reasons folks would quit taking their meds. You have alluded to both. One is side effects which I understand can be miserable and include such things as dry/cotton mouth, weight loss and gain, facial twitching and, in the old days anyway, some even effected gross motor/gait. The other is folks start feeling "fine", hence believe they are no longer in need of the medication. The later can and should be addressed as an adjustment to disability issue. As noted, the former might be remedied by a change in dosage or medication. Regardless, your employee is making a choice to not take the medication that allows her to perform the essential functions of her job.
    I have said it before and it can be a balancing act, but I believe "tough love" (I hate that term) is order. Obviously, Hatchets comments on ADA should be followed..beyond that, you can be supportive, accomodate if you can and show compassion, HOWEVER you are not her keeper and she must accept responsibilty for her choices and getting the help she needs. How's that for preachy, Sandi? :) Good luck! I commend you for your caring.
  • Everyone has giving me great insight and feedback. The employee has gone on vacation for the next couple of weeks so this will give me time to set an action plan with her supervisor for when the employee returns.
    I agree enough is enough. If you do not wish to take responsibility for your own actions, you must be prepared to suffer the consequences and I feel this employee should be made more aware of what those consequences can be. We are willing to accomodate and be supportive but our clients must come be served first. I will let you know the outcome when the employee returns and how things were handled. Again, thanks for all your input.