Employee with drinking problem

We have an employee who has come to work under the influence of alcohol, tardy on several occasions and missed work completely due to his alcohol abuse. We have disciplined him with warnings, time off without pay and told him that if it continues his employment will be terminated. He has never admitted to having a drinking problem. We would like to ask him to seek professional help and give him the time off to complete a treatment program. Are we out of line to suggest that he has a problem? Can we force him to enter an alcohol abuse program? What are our options? We do not have an EAP so your assistance is much appreciated. Help!!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We were just through thi s on another thread, and my comments were probably the most strident of all - you might check it out though. I just focus on performance! You don't know and shouldn't care (as emp/er) if he has drinking problem or not. the problem is hes performance. If he has been counseld and disciplined, I'd lose him as quickly as possible.
  • Okay - there's probably more information that we will all need to provide you with some answers - so wait for the slew of responses before taking any action.

For me, just responding to your post & not delving into any more specifics - if you have gone so far as to write an employee up, have suspended them without pay, and even threaten termination - why doesn't your company simply go through with the threat? Why don't they simply terminate the employee? I'm unclear as to why it's important for anyone at your company to have the employee admit to a drinking problem or for the company to even seek out/force some type of professional help. Again, why not simply terminate employment?

I know many folks will mention ADA issues - so, hold on to your seat x:-)
  • Alot of times losing one's job is just the wake up call an alcoholic actually needs to seek treatment.
  • Focus on the performance, attendance, conduct issues and not what is causing the issues. If you were to accuse this person of alcohol abuse they may become defensive. Termination as stated earlier may be the wake up call they need to get them back on the right track. As for the ADA issues that may come up, It is my understanding that Alcoholism is considered a disability, however the alcoholic is still held to the same attendance, performance and conduct standards as all other employees. If they can't perform their jobs, and be at work and on time to perform their jobs they are subject to termination.
  • I have to agree with everyone posting here. Focus on the performance and it sounds like you have ample reason to terminate the individual's employment based on his track record. Leave the alcohol issue alone. As far as ADA is concerned, I'm pretty certain that alcoholics, like drug abusers, who are active in their abuse and not in recovery are NOT covered by the ADA, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. If I'm wrong on that score, I'm sure we'll hear about it. Good luck.
  • Wouldn't the ee have to admit that he was an alcholic before he could be covered under the ADA anyway?
    We have had this same experience. We fired the ee for poor performance and attendance. Beware...if you catch them at the wrong time the termed ee can be very upset (ours was certain threats made towards me and I didn't have anything to do with it). It was the wakeup call the ee needed and he sought help and later came in to apologize.

• I believe that the individual does not need to admit anything until later for ADA. ADA requires you to take it into consideration if you knew or should have known that the person had this problem. I still concur with the others it seems that you have given this person ample opportunity to straighten up and fly right. Deep 6 him for preformance and keep your fingers crossed.
  • I am definitely not a pro with respect to ADA, but it sounds like you knew or should have known about the problem.
  • That's exactly why I said in the first post 'you don't know.' It's also why I said in the earlier and voluminous thread on the same issue - and many disagreed - I never refer to EAP for fear it will be used to prove I knew or shouopd have knownand provide unintended proof, or at least evidence of disability. If, and only if they ask for EAP do I reference it. If I beat them to the punch with term becasse of performance, its too late. As I said earlier, sooner or later you're going to have to pull the plug - do it now and save yourself, and more importantly, your co. a lot of grief!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-21-03 AT 08:58PM (CST)[/font][p]Addressing ADA and alcoholism...

ADA is silent on alcoholism unlike drug addiction.

Courts have held that if the alcoholism has been clincially diagnosed (by an approrpiate healthcare provider) and the individual's alcoholism significnatly impairs one or more major life activities, the employee is then considered disabled under ADA. There is NO REQUIREMENT that the employee then go through a rehab program to become eligible for ADA. As others have said, the employee's use of alcohol on the job or reporting to work in an impaired manner, if in violation of the company's policy, may result in disciplinary action and/or discharge even if the employee is disabled under ADA. There is no "protection" in this regard under ADA for current use of alcohol or alcoholic impairment on the job.

How do you know he's an alcoholic? Has he presented any medical evidence to show that he is (merely relying on his unspported cliam that he is, is not sufficient under ADA; you want to make sure that you don't treat him as an alcoholic if he is not).

As others have noted, you still need to concentrate on the performance issues.

Keep the ADA option open. But he doesn't have to use it. If he doesn't then continue to hold him accountable for poor performance right up through the day you have to fire him. If he does at some point seek reasonable accommodation on a claim of alcoholism and submits appropriate documentation (through the interative proces), then you will be required to deal with ADA and reasonable accommdation then. However, you wouldn't have to "excuse" his past poor performance, but you would, if he is ADA-disabled, need to take a look at what could be done at that point.
  • Thank you all for your time and advise. Since our company is located in many areas I do not have the ability to meet each employee. We rely on our area managers to deal with employees. This area manager has a genuine concern for this employee who has shown alot of potential. Unfortunately he has a problem and the manager was hoping to get him help. I agree with all of you as far as focusing on the individual's performance and will try to convince my manager to do the same for the sake of the company. Thanks again for your time.