Patriot Day-Religious Overtones

Is everyone honoring the moment of silence tomorrow for Patriot Day? I sent out an e-mail to all of our ee's, with the President's proclamation of Patriot's Day. The proclamation ends with, "IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth."

GEORGE W. BUSH

Do you think anyone will be offended by the wording, "in the year of our Lord.." I didn't think of that until after I sent it.

Also...on that topic, this past weekend my wife and I took our daughter to a theme park in Lancaster, PA. To our surprise, it was "Christian Family Day". Even though we are a Christian family and really enjoyed the day, I wondered how a public theme park could get away with such a seemingly politically incorrect occasion.

Comments

• 57 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I probably would have toned down the rather formal and verbose declaration to a simple reminder.

About the theme park, it was probably Dutch Wonderland, in the heart of Lancaster, PA which is Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch country. You'd be hard pressed to find too many people complaining on the theme-of-the-day having religious undertones.

Gene
  • I would not have sent out that e-mail. Why George W. only recognizes Christians is beyond me, but I think everyone here knows my views on religion and work and the gov't so I will get off my stump now!

I am sure the theme park was not checking for christian only membership cards at the door. I see nothing illegal about this. Many theme parks offer special events for other groups why not be fair. If they were turning away no-christians I might have a problem with it but when most theme parks have special events like this they usually don't care as long as you have your admission fees.
  • I was also thinking it was Dutch Wonderland. I may decide not to take my daughter there, but only because if I remember correctly, to enter and leave you have to go through the "castle" gift shop, with lots of junk right at kids' eye level!
  • to answer your first question, we will be having a moment of silence tomorrow.
  • In response to your second question, a local roller skating rink periodically has "Christian Skate" night. I assume it is sponsored by an organization and they rent the rink for the evening.
  • Stating it is the Year of Our Lord etc., states our Gregorian calendar is based on the Year of Christ birth and does not make this a "Christian exclusive club".

Personal opinion:

Being offended based on good information and understanding is one thing, but based on knee jerk reaction to a word, phrase, image, skin color, religion goes back to the KKK, Nazi party, or radicals of all groups. This shows ignorance and like-mindedness with the aforementioned groups.

Being new as a responder to the forum, it is apparent everyone excepts has at least one or two opinions. Who says HR professionals aren't human?

• In the year of our lord is English for the Latin abbreviation AD - Anno Domini. Your e-mail contains a direct quote by the president when he declared Patriot Day & I can't see how there would be any offense meant or taken by that, although it does seem verbose to say it to begin with, I do not think anyone would think he went back into a time machine and set his hand where ever in 2003 BC - oops! Can't say that either?
  • Our company, which is New York City, will have 4 moments of silent contemplation this morning. As to the wording of the president's proclamation he should have just included the year but in the realm of offensive, it isn't.
    As to the theme park having "Christian Family Day", I wouldn't go to that park ever. However, it is not a government organization and it has the right to do so.
  • >As to the theme park having "Christian Family Day", I wouldn't go to
    >that park ever.

To answer the original poster's concern, the theme park is not owned or operated by the government and could call it 'bovine pro-creation day' if it chose to.

As to the above post, I can't see the logic. Why would that offend me to the point where I would not want to go there and have a good time? This Saturday in Jackson, MS, half the town turns into the annual "Latino Festival". Should I refuse to go downtown Saturday and forever more under the unrealistic assumption that all other groups are somehow excluded from participating or that Latinos are being somehow promoted and recognized above and apart from other groups? Parks have days designated to recognize various groups who have probably reserved pavilions and paid for a large block of tickets. I fail to see the problem. Unless the sign were to proclaim, "Christians Only!". To step into another drum of dookey, what about never, ever going to Disneyworld again because they have 'Gay Day'? The rides are the same and the food is just as good and the fun to be had won't change, regardless of the marquis' message. Although I would not choose that particular day to go. I would wait for 'tatoo day'. x:-)
  • Hard to explain. Gay Day, Latino Day, Jones family reunion day etc. do not indicate support of a particular religion. There is a message to the marquis. It is one that offends my religious sensibilities. There are enough amusement parks around that I can use my pocketbook to go elsewhere. Maybe I am overly sensitive about the issue, but that is my right.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-11-03 AT 10:58AM (CST)[/font][p]I find it ironic that people out in the world preach everyone to be tolerant, but they are the same people who are always offended by something. What I've noticed is that I am suppose to be tolerant of gays, lesbians, colorful language, pre-marital sex, etc. but I can't mention God or religion because heaven forbid (oh, I can't mention heaven either) someone is going to be offended. What a terribly scewed up society we live in.

• I feel the same way as Lola, but Whatever does have every right to "vote" with her pocketbook or her feet, as it were.

If an establishment had a "Jewish Day" or an "Islamic Day", I would probably stay away on those days, but would not be averse to going some other day. I'm not condemning Whatever for her position, though. What would bother me is if those opposed to "Christian Day", "Jewish Day", "Buddhist Day", or choose your opposition, picketed the establishment and tried to create a disturbance.
  • >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-11-03 AT
    >10:58 AM (CST)[/font]
    >
    >I find it ironic that people out in the world preach everyone to be
    >tolerant, but they are the same people who are always offended by
    >something. What I've noticed is that I am suppose to be tolerant of
    >gays, lesbians, colorful language, pre-marital sex, etc. but I can't
    >mention God or religion because heaven forbid (oh, I can't mention
    >heaven either) someone is going to be offended. What a terribly
    >scewed up society we live in.

I couldn't agree more! This country went through hell 2 years ago and still people refuse to see that we need more than we can muster. Our country was founded on Christian values, and if it offends folks, oh well...There are a lot of things going on in this world that offend me too, but like you said we are suppose to be tolerant, so what's wrong with tolerance of Christianity? Jean in OR
  • The country went through hell not just Christians, the country which includes everyone not just those who read the bible. The country was founded on religious freedom. People came to this country because they were being persecuted by other religious states (governments) for having their beliefs. They were seeking freedom to practice what they may. There is nothing wrong with christian tolerence. How would you feel if the president's speech said in the year of Buddha, you can't tell me that there wouldn't be Christian groups up in arms and protesting! The point is, we are all Americans and we all deserve the same rights, that is the very essence of freedom. Freedom and tolerance go hand-in-hand and if your offended, oh well....
  • Once again, we Forumaniacs take to the field of battle over a hot-button topic. I just hope no one mentions the Confederate flag or we're all gonna be sorry. x;-)
  • Since it was a direct quote from George W. Bush & it struck a cord with you to send it to everyone, then let that be it. Yes, it will offend some & the rest will not be offended. Bottom line is that I don't believe it can be construed as discrimination based on the subject & author of the sentiment. As to Christian days, Islamic days, etc. - if you want to go, go, if you don't, don't. Some will protest and some will protest against the protestors - it's America. As such, we will all have to try to be tolerant - allow for other points of view & realize that "it's my way or the highway" only works with third graders and in the movies.
  • Whatever NY:

What say you and I carpool to the first theme park that has a Gay/Lesbian/Jewish/Islamic/Offensive Language/Premarital Sex Day? That is...if we can find one half-way between NY and TX. Actually, since it would likely be closer to NY than TX, I'll come up your way. I always take any excuse to travel to NY.

• I would also be happy to join in. I promise to chip in for the gas....
  • Only if you include New Yorkers who are Mets fans (a very harassed minority) those who abstain from sex, and nudists. And if we want to really have a proper mix, a few agnostics.
  • Well, I'm out. I prefer the Yankees.
  • I'm a Mets fan. My older brother loved the Yankees so like all good sibling disputes, I had to like the Mets....Don might be up for the nudist role. x;-)
  • I'm a Mets fan by default. I still haven't forgiven the Dodgers for leaving Brooklyn.
  • Scott, that is one mental picture I don't want.
  • Scott, you can join us on two conditions: Keep the Buddhists from getting too unruly, and show us your tattoo. (If you do that second thing, no need to chip in for gas.)

• The last time I showed, I got free gas as well....x;-)
  • I don't usually have time to do much input for the forum but I can't let this opportunity pass me by.

Yes we did observe a moment's silence, gathered around our conference room and we lowered our flag for the day.

As for the reference to God, I just want to say to all the folks (yes I am from the South)...all of you who find the reference to God not 'politically correct', let me ask you a question: How much trouble is it to accept the money you receive for a paycheck at pay day? I bet not one of you refuse payment simply because "In God We Trust" is printed on all American monies.

So I say, I respect your lifestyle, you respect mine and shut up about God and Government, the very concept our Country was founded upon! Bet you remembered God on Sept. 11 or everytime you see of a death oversees if you have a loved one in Iraq. Korea or other hot spots.

And to those who don't like it, there are planes leaving as we speak flying to all those wonderful non oppressed countries. Get a ticket!
  • Thank you for that Granhel! xclap
  • Grahel....My hat's off to you! Well said! I'm like you, I don't really have time to get into these conservations, but I couldn't resist this one. This is a free country and one of our freedoms is "Freedom of Religion". If anyone doesn't like to participate in what the company does or says or do, then they can find another place to work. Don't gripe about it and get others stired up. The people who own the company have a right to run their company as they wish. I know of a company that has a chapel on it's premises so those who believe can use on their breaks. If a person doesn't want to take a few minutes of silence, then don't. There is no one that will make you. Folks need to leave other folks alone and let them do as they wish. The main thing is to treat folks with Dignity and Respect. Don't discriminate against anyone. If you do this, then no one will be offended and we all can live in peace. Also, if you live in this wonderful country of ours, do as we do. If you don't like it go home. Yesterday our company had a BBQ and party for one of our folks who just retired. During his time with the company, he spent 2 years fighting in Vietnam for our freedom and beliefs....he's my Hero! I have talked long enough. God Bless all of you and have a wonderful day!