Supervising as the HR Manager

Do any of you have supervision responsibilities (other than a HR Assistant)? I recently took over the supervision of the Janitor and feel that this is not a good idea. The only recourse for the Janitor is to go to the Executive Director. I talked with the ED, but she doesn't feel this is a problem. Any comments/suggestions? Am I over-reacting?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've found that it is not at all uncommon for HR to 'inherit' such things as on-staff janitorial, contracted night cleanup crew, lawn maintenance and Drink Machines. The common logic seems to be the other operating departments don't have time for that stuff, as if we do.
  • I actually supervise a team of four individuals in our Accounting/Administration area (two are FT employees and two are PT employees). I have also had the same concerns that you arise that the employees really don't have an HR Advocate for them since I am their direct supervisor. However, in my organization it is acceptable and my employees can go to two other individuals if they have issues: the President or the CIO. My organization is small (only 35 ees total) so the President and CIO always are willing to speak with employees. In larger organizations this may not be feasible.
  • At my previous position - I supervised the janitors and security guards. I don't think it is that uncommon for HR to be the catch-all for a lot of different tasks.
  • I supervise an Assistant, a Receptionist and a Office Clerk. I have looked at supervising other departments and due to their size and location within the building, it just isn't feasible. Our facility Manager (responsible for building maintenance, etc.) supervises the janitorial staff (which is contracted out).
  • While I don't supervise anyone in my present position (thank you, God!) I did supervise reception and mailroom/file room staff at my last HR job. Personally, I prefer supervising no one, but the downside is that means I'm in a one-deep position and I work some LOOOOONG days. x;-)
  • I too took over the supervising of our janitor who later decided to resign for other reasons. I, instead, opted to contract out this position to an outside company which made my life much easier.
  • Thank you all for your answers. I was stressing a little bit over this. I really don't like supervising either! I have a good relationship with my employee, but I prefer to be a mediator. That is one of the reasons I went into HR, so I wouldn't have to directly supervise, I must have had my blinders on!
  • Indeed you must have. I've been in Human Resources for 34 years and have never had a role without supervision. It's ranged from 2 to 52 people. Hope it works out like you want it to.
  • At one point I had to supervise 4 secretaries and 1 receptionist and it was the absolute worst nightmare. Hopefully, I won't ever have that to face again!
  • No supervision in HR?!?! I never thought of it that way. As the employee relations manager I supervise 5 people all in HR. They have a problem with me they go to my boss, the HR Director.
  • I have supervised HR Assistants, HR Interviewers, HR Clerks, Training Coordinator, guards for a 3 shift operation, Payroll Clerk, Safety Manager, Receptionist/Switchboard, Purchasing, Building Maintenance and a Mail Clerk. I thought it went with the territory.
  • Question 1: Which one had the most effect on your mean-streak?
    Question 2: How many of them were carried off in a straight jacket?
    Hey, Just wondering. :DD I'm in an unusually good mood today.
  • In an ideal world, we would only supervise HR support staff. Alas this is not an ideal world. I currently have no employees (and no help) but I have supervised everyone from the receptionist to the temporary mail room help. Good luck.
  • I alway seem to end up with the receptionist... as a direct report anywayx}>
  • That's been a part of the HR responsiblity here in the past. Thank goodness it's now in the operations area. I like just supervising my HR asst.

Who does HR go to when they have a problem employee???? Seems like counseling managers is what I do most. One more reason to keep us free from overseeing more than one really great employee.

• I have had HR, safety, facilities services and the mailroom in addition to HR. Many HR people use these responsibilities to broaden them into the Chief Administrative Officer somewhere down the road. It can be a growth experience and will broaden your budgetary responsibilities.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • With over 20 years as HR mgt experience, I have always had numerous subordinates.. from 1 to 40. What a great way to put practice what we coach others to do.
  • Before joining the company I am with now, I had worked in HR for six years with no direct reports, although I had direct influence on disciplinary action of staff and peers.

I now have one person who reports to me (responsibilities split between payroll/purchasing/misc), and I have definitely adjusted my approach. It's much "easier" to dole out the advice regarding issues with OTHER supervisors' employees. Now, I often find myself getting "reality checks" from some of my peers when determining a course of action with my own employee.

While I still require documentation of every discussion, I am much less likely to say "write them up!" and more likely to say "let's put together a coaching session or an action plan" before writing them up.

I agree that having our own employee(s) helps us practice what we preach. It wasn't as simple as I'd believed in the past.
  • From my observations, I don't want to supervise any one. My supervisor is a lech, always leering and leaning over my desk. If this is what a boss is to do, I never to want to be that. She is supposed to be a manager and a lady. What would some of you do if this gets in the way of your job every day.
  • >From my observations, I don't want to supervise any one. My supervisor
    >is a lech, always leering and leaning over my desk. If this is what a
    >boss is to do, I never to want to be that. She is supposed to be a
    >manager and a lady. What would some of you do if this gets in the way
    >of your job every day.

If it bothers you that much, you may want to look for another job. Not all bosses are this way!

• Hey chick, I've never been to Ifelta. Where is that in Maine?