Does not want to disclose SS#

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT 05:10PM (CST)[/font][p] We have a new employee and today I met with her to complete all of HR forms. She does not want to disclose her SS# on any of her forms, including the criminal background check. Can I force her to list it. Any reason why someone would not want to disclose their SS#. She is Hispanic. She showed a passport for her employment eligibility verification. When I asked her about it, she said she does not like to put her SS on many documents.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It is our policy that we review all Social Security cards. Again, it is our polisy and releated to I-9. So the short answer is it depends on your policy. We also verify each new hires number through the SSA. I wish I could give you a better answer.

• Don't you need her social security number for payroll reasons? How are you going to report her wages? If she doesnt want to provide the actual card she doesnt really have to since she did provide you with her Passport which takes care of the I9 requirements. However, for payroll reasons she should have to supply you with her number.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT 06:07PM (CST)[/font][p]If you do a criminal background check on everyone & it's required on the form, then she's got to give up the number or not work for your company. Also, you should make it mandatory for every new hire to verify their SSN's with SSA within three days of hire. It's a simple process & it could save you money. You see, the cynic in me says that the SSN she has is probably not valid, but if it looks authentic, we HR types are supposed to accept it. Calling SSA to verify (new hires only) is the best way to verify the information without getting your company into trouble. Good luck to you.
  • I saw this as someone who is getting a little too paranoid about releasing her SSN for risk of idenity theft. She's gotta at least give you her SS Number, it's a requirement for employment. Actually viewing the card is dependent upon your policy and it may only be for payroll purposes. There was a post a while back about a guy who didn't want to release his SSN saying it was unconstitutional or something to that effect. It's a condition of employment period. She writes it down, or she walks. Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • I agree with Sage. Its a requirement the IRS imposes on the employer and the employer imposes on the employee. It is also a requirement of 50 state employment security systems that employers report/make quarterly payroll FUTA taxes and connect them to specific SSNs. It is also a requirement of all the health insurance programs I've ever experienced. She provides it or walks.

But you cannot require a social security card for the I-9. It is illegal for us to specifically tell a new employee which documents they MUST show for that purpose.
  • This sounds like another example of an ee with a little bit of knowledge but not the entire piece. Shes right in that she is not required to give her SS# for the I-9. However, it will be required for payroll purposes. If the background check is a condition of employment and she refuses to give you what is required to complete this, recind the offer and state that she has failed to meet a condition of employment. I wouldn't say it was because she refused to give SS# just say that she didn't meet a condition of employment.
  • I would recind the offer right now based on her presenting attitude. This should be the honeymoon period. This is the MOST cooperative you will ever see her. Imagine what she's going to be like a year from now.
  • I agree with Crout. You can tell her she has every right not to show you her SS card and you have every right not to hire her. Except the SS# is required for payroll as others have said.
  • The social security number is actually required for completing section one of the I-9, so she has to record it there. We require the social security number for payroll purposes and review it to verify the exact spelling of the name to make sure our paperwork, etc., has the correct name. I agree with the others. She either complies with the requirements like everyone else, or she should look for a job elsewhere. Good luck!
  • It would seem that your employee may not have a legal ss # - she may have purchased a fake SS#. I would check with the SS Administration to find out if she is a legal citizen. You can also purchase fake citizenship cards as well.