Lying regarding an accident

We have an employee that damaged company property, didn't report it and when we did approach him, he lied and said he knew nothing about it. We have a witness to the incident and are now wanting to discipline this employee - for not only "not reporting it immediately" (per company policy) ... but also for the actual "lying", and why we feel that is even more serious for the company. Any suggestions on the wording??

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How long ago did this occur? Do you have a post accident drug testing policy? I would have him tested.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Our policy states, subject to termination on first offense depending on severity:

"Unauthorized removal or willful damage to any property belonging to another employee, the company, a patron, vendor, or visitor while such property is in the care, custody and control of the company or on property.

Falsifying or omitting pertinent information on any record, report, or document, or giving false replies or testimony to official representatives in any matter relating to the organization's activities, business affairs, and like matters."

Maybe some of the verbiage will help.

PS - We also have post accident testing, and if positive, that would do it in and of itself.

• Yes, we do have a post-accident drug testing policy... however, since the incident happened a week ago, drug testing at this time would be inappropriate. I am just trying to figure out the wording regarding the actual "lying" about the whole deal (for the counseling report.)
  • Why would a test at this time be inappropriate?
  • How reliable is the witness? Interview all involved before discipling ee. Does this employee have any other priors?

• The employee actually came forward this morning and admitted to the accident - however, we will still deal with the disciplinary action.
  • You asked for suggested wording. How about this:

"Our investigation reveals that you were untruthful regarding the accident involving the ____ that occured on ____ and the resulting damage to the ____. Your statement to ____ was that you were not involved in that accident and damage to company property and that you had no knowledge of who was responsible. On ____ you admitted to ____ in the presence of ____ and ____ that you were responsible and that you had given false information earlier in our investigation. In accordance with our policies and procedures handbook, page 14, item B (6), you are hereby suspended without pay for a period of three regular shifts, beginning at ____a.m. and concluding with the shift ending ____ p.m. You are to report for work on _____ at ____a.m. and report to _____. Your normal shift and pay will resume at that time."
  • Thanks everyone... mission accomplished.
  • I would still make him pee in a cup, a week after the fact means coke and meth would not be picked up, but if he is a pot smoker, well you would still catch that.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I strongly agree with Balloonman. It also sends a shrill-clear message to all employees that late reporting or avoiding reporting of accidents will not keep you out of the drug-test loop. Therefore, users will know they don't automatically escape the test by dilly-dallying around or avoiding reporting until later. Same with comp.
  • I double strongly agree with Don and Baloonman. The CLEAR message you are sending is if you do drugs and have an accident don't tell until a week later. Then you just get suspended for a few days(time to do more drugs) instead of getting fired. DRUG TEST!