New employee quitting

I will try to make this long story short. The same new receptionist who told me that she could have any sceen saver she wanted, is now quitting. She is payrolled through a "temp agency". She has decided that she is quitting. I am not sure the reason, but here is a few situations that have happened.
1. I told her she would have to remove screen saver of bible phrase, if anyone complained.
2. She received 2 emails that she felt were offensive from other employees - 1 was about someone's opinion on the war, the 2nd was a funny that had the word 'bitxx'.
3. Other employees cuss and say things like "crap" around her. She asked someone not to say that around her.
4. At all of her jobs, she is stalked by people, employees or not. Not really a reason for quitting, but one of the things she has mentioned.
5. She stated that she is often told how beautiful she is...she passed school on her looks alone.

I think you can get the basic idea. Now, she stated that she does not care when she leaves, and basically got my GM to give her an end date of the end of the month. I am concerned that since we told her the end date, instead of the other way around we could see trouble.

For any of these reasons and more, I foresee future problems. What is your opinion on best way to handle this situation (ie. - get a notice from her, just have her leave now, etc.)

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would restrict any and all communication about her "quitting" date between to the staffing agency and your companies contact person. If you have a traditional contract with the agency, she is their employee, not yours, and as such any of the type of conversations and concerns that you have posted should have been between her and the agency. These type of things are where companies get into trouble with co-employment issues. One phone call to the agency to ask to have her pulled or replaced should be all you have to do.
  • One of the beauties of payrolling through a staffing service is the flexibility it gives you. Contact your agent, tell them to find a replacement and broom the person. Don't wait for an end date during which time all sorts of havoc can occur.
  • Agree with Parabeagle, send her back to the staff agency!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-11-03 AT 10:22AM (CST)[/font][p]Well, the reason that I think we have handled this a little bit differently is that she is payrolled through them...in other words, we sent her to the temp. company, they did not send her to us. I have contacted them, however, for assistance. We get a cheaper rate if we find the person, instead of the other way around.

And I forgot to mention that I will really miss Don's pithy comments about this...
  • nonetheless- she is still getting her paycheck from the agency which makes her their responsibility. A payrollee is still 100% their responsibility. You should contact them and have them tell her the assignment is complete- no questions asked. I worked for a staffing firm for 12 years and saw this same situation many times- Call them at the close of the business day and have them contact her once she has left your building. They can send someone from the agency to come claim her belongings.
  • Did the agency have anything to suggest? I would make today her last day. Advise the agency of that and since you are paying a "fee" for their services, I would have them contact her at her home to tell her that her services are no longer required. Period. End.

• Wow. I feel your pain. She sounds like she is a little narcissistic and paranoid. She needs to see a professional. Apparently the screen saver was just the beginning.

OK, I'm done feeling your pain. I'm going back to work now.

Good luck.
  • Call the temp agency and tell them today is her last day. Let them inform her at home once she has completed her work. Pack up her belongings with a witness present (no sense getting accused of theft). Deliver the box of her belongings to the temp agency.
  • Thanks for all your comments. Well, to make an even longer story short- I called the agency and we decided to release her, the agency called her Sat., she argued/discussed with them for 1 hour, they thought it was settled and she showed up to work Monday morning! I called the agency again and they immediately called her and asked her to leave and come to their office. Later that day, she had a meeting with their legal department. She is upset because
    1 - she got "harrassing" emails
    2 - she was "forced" to remove her screen saver (which she did not do)
    3 - she was given an end date of 5/2, then asked to leave early
    4 - she was told (after she gave notice) that during our interview process, we saw that she has extra skills and she would be promotable in the future.
    So....the saga continues...
  • No dear, the saga does not continue. It has ended! Think no more of it. At the first sign of this sort of trouble, one should call the agency and tell them to advise the worker immediately or at noon, but no later than tonight at her home phone to leave or not return to the premises. In a situation this dire I might even ask them to send one of their supervisory interviewers to usher her out and off the premises. They will gladly do that to keep your business and to court future opportunities with your company. They will also black-list her file, but that's another beauty contest. I have seen dozens of these air-headed temps who think their credentials exist in their waist size and underwire. They seem to have a way of self destructing and burying themselves at one temp agency after another. Some people have no clue as to how to be or become a good worker and get a toehold with a job in a solid company. They just seem to meander about from worksite to worksite like a paper boat in a Viking funeral not even realizing their stern section is afire. Maybe she can skin hogs for Pork. She can bring along a clothespin for her nose. Good riddance without a card and gift is in order.
  • Thanks, Don. I hope you are right. She is actually a very smart girl. She has had some pretty decent jobs in the past. When she starts throwing around 'harrassment and hostile environment' lawyers ears perk up - and we are the 'co-employer'.
  • Lessons learned, and I doubt you'll ever find yourself in a similar situation again.

Having worked for a staffing co as an HR mgr, one thing I can tell you to make sure you ALWAYS do: Always provide feedback and direction through the agency's contact, never directly. If you want to term. the individual, call the agency and have them do it. Never discuss your plans with the temp directly. For disciplinary issues, have the agency do it. Don't do it yourself.

• Lessons learned is right! Thanks everyone for your comments and support. And Parabeagle, I will do that from now on.
  • I just had to let Don know - you made my day! I have had an extremely long day and an even longer week - first laugh I have had all day. No, I understand the severity of the problem and the advice was excellent, but your way with words just made me roll. THANK YOU!! : )
  • Also, you might consider working with another local temp agency. Doesn't sound like your current agency is too effecitve in managing their workforce.
  • This one is a "NO BRAINER" pick up the phone right now and tell the "temp agency" you are sending her back and you need a replacement this afternoon! End of issue! Pork
  • She sounds as if she is 'fishing' for some sexual or harrassment ammo. Lose her quick,
    Pick up the phone
    call the temp agency and have them fire her (that is there job anyway) they are her employer, not you