Paid Time Off Policies

We are implementing a PTO policy. Does anyone who currently has a PTO in place tell me how you address these issues:

1. Does an employee max out at a certain amount of hours. If yes, once they use some hours, do they accrue and that new accrual is added to their "bank" or does it accrue behind the scenes and then when an employee hits their anniv date, they get a new "bank" of hours?

2. Do you allow employees to rollover hours or if they don't use them, they lose them?

Thanks for the input!! This has been a very time consuming policy for us and I have a feeling we still haven't thought of everything!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• Our employees max out at 240 for vacation and 320 for sick. Once they hit those marks they lose until they use. The hours are rolled over year to year.

• Our employees accrue each pay period and are awarded what they accrued on pay day. They Can't use the PTO until they have worked the 520 hour probationary period.

We have no accrual limit.

The first year of employment they earn 25 days (or 8 x 25 hours).
  • Our employees accrue X amount of hours at the end of each month. We allow them to take PTO prior to accrual, though. If they leave our employment before the end of the year, they must pay back any unearned PTO they received (it is deducted from their last check) or we give them any earned PTO they did not use. At the end of the year we reimburse for unpaid PTO up to 5 days. Anything over that is forfeited. The new year everyone starts over with the accrual process.
  • We also accrue monthly but allow ee's to take PTO in advance with a payback if they leave employment early. Because our PTO incorporates vacation and sick, we allow rolling over from year to year with a maximum accrual of 45 days. Non-exempts can "sell back" up to 10 days of unused PTO above 45 days at year end. Sounds complicated, but it's been working well for about 6 years now.
  • E Wart
    please email me your fax number and I will send you a copy of the policy from the Company I used to work with. It worked well and we were able to have the "accrual" of the time show up on their pay checks so employees knew exactly how many days they had.
    [email]ewarthen@newcombspring.com[/email]