Employee doesn't want FMLA - quick response appreciated

If I recall correctly, once an employer knows that an employee is taking leave for a serious health condition, they must place the employee on FMLA (either paid or unpaid per company policy). Please tell me if I'm wrong. I have an employee who states that they do not want to use FMLA leave for the birth of their child. They want to use their accrued 4 weeks of sick time and then go n short term disability and "save" their FMLA 12 weeks in case something else happens down the road.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I hope you have a policy. If so, you would be better served as a company if you 'forced' FMLA at the first notion that a person is eligible. It will keep from happening exactly what this employee indicates WILL happen, and that is that she will take sick leave, then vacation, then 12 weeks of FMLA. Make it all happen concurrently to save your company lost productivity and staff time. It ain't the employee's choice.......it's the company's.
  • We are creating a policy as I type! However the employee can't refuse FMLA is the bottom line with or without a policy as long as the company informs them of the designated leave, correct?
  • The employee doesn't have to accept or decline FMLA. You notify them that you are counting their time off against their FMLA. (presuming they qualify) Keep copies of your notification. Send/deliver it in such a way that you can track it.

It's a pain, but in this case you will be glad you did.

Are you up to counting it by either the rolling 12 month period or the calendar year? We are changing from the calender year (sadly misinformed previous HR director) to the rolling 12 month period.

Zanne
  • I know it should probably be obvious but what is the difference between a rolling 12 month and a calendar year. I think I know but would like feedback.

Thanks
  • The difference between a rolling 12 month and calendar year is:

Calendar year: Probably easier to administer. You would count the 12 weeks allotment for employees during a Jan to Dec (or other standard 12 month period such as a fiscal year) period. Downside: An employee who goes on FMLA in October could then use up his 12 weeks to the end of December, and beginning January 1, start another 12 weeks of FMLA. You would be on the hook for the health premiums and not filling the job during those 24 weeks.

Rolling 12 month period: Harder to administer. When an employee is starting an FMLA - we "look back" 12 months to see if they have taken any other FMLA time. If they have, we subtract that from their 12 week allotment. If they haven't, then they are entitled to their 12 weeks. (Of course if they qualify for it, yada, yada, yada.)

Hope that helps.

Zanne

• Thnak you for the explanation.
  • You can also adminster a rolling forward period of time which is easier in my opinion to track than going back.
  • I agree with the rest of the responses. Once you have your policy in place, and hopefully this is the first time this has happened and a precedent hasn't already been set, provide a copy of the policy to the employee along with a notice that their paid time is running concurrent with FMLA. It is not the employee's choice but your responsibility to designate this as FMLA leave.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-02-03 AT 10:16AM (CST)[/font][p]I agree with the others. However, if you need support to back up your FMLA policy, go to [url]www.dol.gov/dol/esa/public/regs/compliance[/url] and you can pull up the U.S. DOL Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993; it has all your guidelines. I will be happy to share our FMLA policy is you should need. Just email me at [email]cwinebarger@charter.net[/email]

• Thank you all for your responses. I was like 99% certain it was as you all have stated, just wanted reinforcement!
  • Becareful!!! You should check NJ law but if I am correct the employee can use the alloted State Disability subsequent to using FMLA leave. I found a link for you below:

[url]http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcr/law.html#FLA[/url]

How does the NJFLA relate to the federal Family and Medical Leave Act?

Like the NJFLA, federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) also provides time off from work in connection with the birth or adoption of a child or the serious illness of a parent, child or spouse. When an employee takes a leave for a purpose covered by both the FMLA and the NJFLA, the leave simultaneously counts against the employee's entitlement under both laws.

The FMLA provides time off from work due to an employee's own disability, while the NJFLA does not provide covered employees with leave for their own disabilities. Thus, even though an employee may utilize all of his or her allotted time under the federal FMLA due to his or her disability, the employee may subsequently be entitled to time off under the NJFLA in connection with the birth or adoption of a child or the serious illness of a parent, child or spouse.

The FMLA provides up to twelve weeks in a 12-month period, rather than a 24-month period as provided in the NJFLA

• The calendar year approach makes no business sense to me. This will allow an employee to miss the last 12 weeks of any given year plus couple it with the first 12 weeks of the succeeding year......a total of 24 straight weeks of absence. Its really no harder or easier to track than a rolling forward year. Each has a definite start and stop date and it's that simple. I would avoid the calendar year option like the plague. The other options will never result in the problem inherent in the calendar year option.