Oregon Budget Buster

There are many things I know nothing about and state reciprocity tax procedures is one of them. We manufacture products and sell them in 44 countries, including Oregon. Our sales in Oregon amount to all of .02 percent of total annual sales. The state of Oregon had two, count them two, state employee auditors here for two, count them two whole days this week pouring over our sales figures to be sure we had sent the collected Oregon tax money properly to them. This cannot be a wise use of state moneys. It was determined that we do owe them a little less than a hundred bucks over the entire period covered by the audit. That was due to variances in tax amounts. What do you reckon those two round trip tickets cost with lodging and meals and comp time? No I didn't offer them a fried turkey.

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know, Don. One of those auditors was me. x;-) Needed an excuse to see MS for the first time in 12 years, so I posed as a state employee.

Seriously, RT tickets to Birmingham (nonrefundable) were in the $700+ range just a week or so ago when I checked - now over $1000 RT, so I would imagine MS isn't much different (probably more, depending on where you fly into).

However, the sad thing is that Oregon narrowly missed having to cut 24 days from our school schedule this year due to budget cuts, funding shortfalls, etc. (anyone who had seen Doonsbury over the last couple of weeks knows) and we've got a couple of state clowns traipsing around the country holding up businesses for less than a hundred bucks????? xx(
  • Sounds like this is an issue for the Oregonian investigative reporter!
  • We are in a huge budget shortfall. Let me know if you see anyone from Arizona.
  • I think Don should write an eloquent letter to The Oregonian, 1320 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201. I'll be happy to send him clippings of all the dirt that comes out. x;-)
  • Don:

I knew Texas used to be another country and I knew that a lot of folks on the left coast wish they were a seperate country, but I didn't know they already were????? The state I live in is struggling too. I hope you don't sell anything in Iowa.

>We manufacture products and sell them in 44
    >countries, including Oregon.

• No, Texas is not another country, officially, although California is and when Oregon is fully Californicated, they will be too. For OUR sake, I do hope we sell something in Iowa. If you have cable television, chances are we made the cable. If you have a cell phone chances are we made the cell tower cable. If you have a mining operation or a tunnel with communication capability, well, you get my point.......
  • Hey Don watch the language we have ladies on this forum! Not proper for gentlemen to be talking about californication like that! x:-8 might make them blush!
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Oregon will NEVER be fully Californicated - I will defend to the death my right to wear plaid and Birkenstocks if I wish! And keep a goatee!
  • I'll let you defend your right to keep a goatee, but could you please disuede the women from doing so? It scares the children... :DD

Kidding! Really! sort of...

Ladyzuesse
  • Plaid? Birks? Goatee? Sounds pretty Californicated to me.
  • Don: What in the world is wrong with you. They were from the government and were there to help you. Also, I just bet the weather in the South is better than it is in the Northwest. Did you check their car for golf clubs? x:7
  • Interesting. I forgot to report to you that they were in a full size SUV Enterprise rental.
  • We are all supposed to understand that the ban on SUVs is just for us, the little people. Government folks have a higher need than the rest of us that justifies their use.
  • Maybe due to all the bureaucracy they just have more (b/s) to haul around? I am surprised they didn't have a limo...
  • Oregonians are used to driving SUV's - it's a state law that you have to own one up here. Either that or a 4WD pickup. Besides, how else are they going to navigate their way around in all that sticky, red clay you guys have down there? x;-)
  • >There are many things I know nothing about and state reciprocity tax
    >procedures is one of them. We manufacture products and sell them in 44
    >countries, including Oregon. Our sales in Oregon amount to all of .02
    >percent of total annual sales. The state of Oregon had two, count them
    >two, state employee auditors here for two, count them two whole days
    >this week pouring over our sales figures to be sure we had sent the
    >collected Oregon tax money properly to them. This cannot be a wise use
    >of state moneys. It was determined that we do owe them a little less
    >than a hundred bucks over the entire period covered by the audit. That
    >was due to variances in tax amounts. What do you reckon those two
    >round trip tickets cost with lodging and meals and comp time? No I
    >didn't offer them a fried turkey.

You should have offered some fried baloney!

The waste in government is staggering. Our previous Governor (before he left office in January) spent all the funds in the budget to operate the Governor's Mansion on stuff like squid, lobster and caviar. The present Governor almost had to close the mansion except for the family until new funds could be appropriated. Some private volunteers bailed the mansion out of mothballs.

Every since we outlawed video poker (DON'T EVEN THINK OF POSTING A THREAD ON THIS ONE), we have had a budget deficit There was a grass roots movement afoot to reinstate video poker, but I think it was quashed somehow.

Our federal government in all its wisdom gave our city 4.5 million dollars to build footbridge across an interstate so fools won't get hit by cars trying to run across the interstate. This footbridge connects two ghetto like neighborhoods that would have benefitted greatly from having more desirable housing to live in rather than a weird looking, out of place bridge crossing an interstate.
  • To heck with bridges, let's get back to talking about californication, which I think I experienced a few times while stationed at Camp Pendleton back in the swingin' 70's, although the actual deeds occurred OFF-base.
  • I'm surprised you are admitting this. How long has this bothered you? Was this consensual? Were superior officers involved? Off base is no excuse for these sorts of behaviors. Make yourself comfortable and go ahead and get it all off your chest......we are here to help you.
  • That explains a lot about Crout! They californicated him, no wonder he is a Philies fan!!!!!! Now you have twice as much sympathy from me Crout.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Ballooman
    Life long Mets fan!