All Else Pales

I dare not post this in the Hr de Har section because it's far from funny. It's not a question either. Perhaps just a vent at the end of a very tough week. I had sixteen Reduction in Force meetings today ranging from managers to engineers to customer service to technicians to a driver. This included a two hour pre termination session with managers discussing everything from 'expecting the unexpected' to successfully dealing with the emotional issues that will come up in the termination conferences. As those of you who have gone through these things know, you never are able to predict how any single one of them will go and they never get easy and God forbid they ever get routine or that they have absolutely no affect on you. The toughest of the day was a guy named Will. Perfect gentleman, understood perfectly the decision to eliminate his position due to economic conditions and restructering of the department. Listened to it all with hands folded and a nice understanding half-smile on his face. Couldn't have gone better for me (I guess), but certainly not for Will. At the conclusion of the meeting, Will says, "Can I ask you a favor". "Sure Will", was my response. "Mr. Don, I been here all my life. Can you help me with a resume. I don't write too good." Have a good weekend guys. Don D.

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I hope you said yes Don.

My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Wow...I have chills. I was involved in my very, very first RIF last week except I was spared having to deliver the message(s).

Don, I enjoy your insight, wisdom and advice. Try to have a great weekend.
  • Tough. Go do whatever you do to unwind and come back to earth. While it doesn't help Will remember that Will had the trust in you to ask the question.
  • Yes Don, take heart that you did have the respect of Will for him to ask for your assistance. We had to eliminate about 3 positions a couple of months ago. Although we are not Union, we do use a seniority system on assigning positions and one of the production managers was low man. About 3 weeks after he was notified, he came and asked me to fax his resume. It had been professionally written and printed. When I asked about it he revealed that he had paid a considerable amount to have it done. Really made me feel bad that I had not been pro-active enough to offer assistance.
  • I'm so sorry -- what a bad experience for him and for you.
  • Don if you come on up to Kansas City tomorrow I will buy you a cold tall one!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • God bless you, Don, for your kind heart. And Will, too. You can hope that his positive attitude and your help with a resume and job searching will help him land on his feet. Life sure throws us some punches sometimes, but Will sounds like the kind of person who has the character to roll with them. It's wonderful that there are people like that out there and that you are there to offer him support.

Have a restful weekend,

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Don-
    I know that you always do your best. Keep it up. Thanks for your posts of wisdom.

Chari

• On Wednesday, almost 200 positions were eliminated at our various corporate locations and I was one of the "chosen" to deliver the message. Since I have been with my company for 19 years, I know most of them. I guess we were fortunate to be able to offer outplacement services with a firm we contracted with for this purpose that will help them put resumes together and help with interviewing skills. This has impacted and effected virtually everyone left standing and it has been very difficult for us also these past few days. Sadly, I do not think it is over yet.

Elizabeth
  • Don, I am always able to learn something from your experiences that you share with us and this is another example. It seems Will appreciates your knowledge and wisdom as much we do. Thanks, I hope you have a good weekend.
  • Don D,

While I know it has been traumatic for you, it speaks well of the kind of person you are that you felt "all else pales." When we get to the point that we can lay people off without it absolutely bringing us to our knees, it's time to get out of HR because we've lost perspective. But more important, that he would ask for your help should make you know what kind of individual you are.

Now, what can we do to help. I know you're in Mississippi. Where in Mississippi? Who else on the Forum is in your area that may be able to hire this guy? Are there employers in your area that are hiring? Can you call them and send them this guy's resume? What can we do to help you?

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • "God forbid they ever get routine or that they have absolutely no affect on you."

Well said, Don. You did good.
  • Hey Don -

I've not said much, but I've watched you (among others). A little Diane Fossi of me, I admit (and please, take the gorilla parallel as a compliment). Anyway, you make me think. So, thanks.

I am in the middle of closing a plant - an acquisition that just didn't materialize as expected (acquired and closed in under a year). I'm an outsider to these folks - a corporate assignee. Through it all, I've been blown away by the demographics of our population. A significant majority of our manufacturing workforce has over 20 years service, and the average age is well under 50. They have been in that building their entire work lives. And now I have to tell them it's over. I see the sadness on their faces as I walk them out - and what a scary climate to send them out into! They are lifelong production workers, a job classification quickly going extinct in the US.

We, as a Company, realize the anxiety these folks face. We determined to do whatever we could to improve their marketability. Developing & offering outplacement services, building retraining plans, pushing state emergency grant applications and TAA petitions has been very therapeutic for me. I only hope it does something for them.....

• Don,Margaret,Blanch and all the rest of you that contribute your wisdom & caring attitudes here. I have learned a great deal by reading your posts. I am not fortunate enough to deal with HR people like you that do try to "keep the HUMAN" in Human Resource. Ours seems to take delight in intimidating people, belittling those that try to approach her, using profanity in "counseling" with employees all with the apparant approval of the GM. It gives me hope to know there are caring people out there in the corporate world.
  • Don:

You're right - all else does pale. On Friday it was my sad task to say goodbye to an 31-year service employee. He told me that he was glad they had sent me to tell him (I felt like crying). Every time I do one of these I offer to help the individual with a resume and make sure I let them know it is an offer from me personally, since some are not too happy with the Company.

I'm sure Will was grateful to you for the respectful way you gave him the devastating news. And, in the long run, I suppose all we can do is to treat everyone the way we would like to be treated in similar circumstances.

Hope the weekend restored you, I'm afraid there are tougher times ahead.

Sunny
  • Hi Don: I knew there must have been something going on with you last week as you were not as active on the Forum as you usually are.

This time last year, I had to be involved in a RIF. Some of these were people who had been with the company a long time and were my peers. Some were very highly specialized type individuals who have yet to find another position. It's something that really tears at your insides because employees are not just losing their jobs, but a part of their identity.

Our company was fortunate enough to be able to provide some severance pay to these employees, but, still just having to look someone in the eye and give them this information is gut wrenching.

Your kindness and compassion for others always shines through on the Forum and I am sure that's one reason Will felt he could ask you for your assistance.

Be extra good to yourself for awhile.
  • I hate RIF. It always is painful to terminate anyone who has been a good employee. I have never had a problem firing someone for cause. But I have lost sleep when there is a RIF. However, I believe because I try to show compassion, I am always the one the do it. That's life. That's the job. Be grateful that you are not cold hearted.
  • Almost two years ago we had to RIF about 35 people. It included 4 of my peers, other directors. The IT director and myself are the only ones left, all the rest are new. Well, it was very difficult walking these people to the door that I had worked closely with for several years. All but one shook my hand as I helped them carry possessions to their cars.

If it ever gets easy, it is time to look for a new job.
  • Don, you selflessly help so many of us through this forum. You can take some comfort, however that your wisdom has not come at the expense of your soul. I believe its called "character," and you have it in abundance.
  • Don - I do not think that I can be as eloquent as some of the others who have responded to your post, but I just wanted you to know that I agree with what everyone else has said. Will's response to you, just shows your wonderful, friendly, helpful (I cannot find the appropriate words, but these all apply) personality. You support eveyone on this forum with a response, even if you don't agree. Your employees obviously have alot of respect for you, as do we.

I feel for you in this troubled time. Just keep being Don.
  • Don,

That is a heart breaking story. I will be keeping you and those affected by these RIFs on my prayer list this week.

Paul
  • Don,

You have a wonderful heart and I thank you for it.
  • My heart goes out to you. We had a similar situation about two years ago when we had to let a longtime employee who was in her seventies go. She sat calmly through the exit and when she left, she gave everyone a big hug and told us not to worry that it was OK.
  • Didn't see your post until today. Thanks for sharing. From time to time we all need to feel a colleague's pain. Your words showed your enormous heart and sensitivity to your fellow man.
  • Don, like Blanche, I don't often 'say' much, but I spend alot of time 'gleaning' knowledge from you and the rest of the 'pros'on this forum. I feel that you are all far superior to me in your experience and knowledge. But one thing I DO know and recognize, and strongly believe in.....and that is respect and consideration for everyone. Whether they sweep the floor or sit at a mahogany desk. You projected a very kind attitude in your post regarding Will, and I commend you for it. By the time I finished reading it, I wanted to offer Will MY job.
  • Don, I, too, was wondering where you have been. I am so sorry. I know how hard it must have been for you as well as for him. You have such a kind heart.
  • Thank you for your individual and collective support. That may be one of the very best spinoff effects of The Forum; the support and comraderie that develop and flow at the appropriate times. The words of encouragement, reflection, wisdom and suggestion were all appreciated. I printed them out and will keep them. I hope I can return the favor and will try when you need me. Don D.
  • Don, don't know if this will help, but I've been on the other end. Sometimes things happen for the best. I was eight months pregnant, commuting an hour to work and in a banking job that I hated - they laid me off. At first I was upset, but then I realized it gave me an opportunity to stay home for a while with my daughter. I was able to get a job five minutes from home and here I am in HR. While sometimes frustrating and hard, it's the most rewarding job I've ever had. It all happened because I was laid off. Trust that things will work out. Thanks for all of your wisdom in the world of HR. I have learned a lot from your answers.
  • Your momma sure raised you right. What goes down comes back up. Somehow that seems appropriate on Fat Tuesday. Happy Mardi Gras, Don, from a misplaced Southerner in Utah.
  • Update: Will came to see me today. Still smiling. I already had him a list of pointers and possibilities typed up. Together, we went through his personnel file. He started here at age 19 and he's soon going to be 50, so, it's a rather thick file of all positive stuff. He's literally never worked anywhere else. We copied all the certificates and commendations and job change information. I hooked him up with the Junior College just down the road. They have an office connected to the Workforce Investment people. The lady on the speakerphone with us told Will and me how she would sit down with him and pull all his documents together and come out with a polished resume for him and give him as many copies as he wants. She'll even put it on the network and slot him for job search classes if he wants that. His smile got bigger as she continued to talk. She asked him straight up, "How are you on a computer?" Will said, honestly, not good. We both smiled. She said, "Not to worry. That's why I'm here. I'll sit with you at the computer here and show you how to scan all the jobs and their qualifications. You'll pick it up in no time." He smiled even bigger. I've also managed now to get some of the others laid off connected with the same lady. Will told me he was thinking about opening a restaurant and he already is into restoring antique cars and thinks he can do that part time too. He's got daughters in college and almost has his 401(k) loan paid off. He's the most positive guy I can think of. I told him to let me know when the restaurant opens and he says, "Mr. Don, I don't reckon you'd wanta come to my neighborhood to eat." And there's that big grin. I told him "Just you let me know when you open. I'll be there." I told him to call me if any of these people in 'the system' were unresponsive or didn't produce. I know the system. Will does not. There I was trying my best to make Will's day and all along he was making mine! x:-) x:-)