Do you post jobs with salary ranges/grades?

I'm curious who does this. I'm considering proposing it for us to help with internal postings so that EEs beyond the salary won't apply. I'm considering a range of about 20K or so so that salaries aren't really revealed but someone would know if they're beyond the mid-point range. What are your thoughts, please?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When we post positions in-house we always post the grade and the ranges, this way employees know before applying if it is worthwhile for them. It is our theory not to waste everyone's time applying, interviewing, etc. if they would not take the position because of the grade. Also, it is interesting to learn why some employees want to take a lower grade just to "get out" of a department.
  • We do not post the grades because we've had too many problems in the past with comparisons. We also had people applying for jobs they were completely unqualified for because of the grade - they wouldn't even look at the position description as long as the grade was higher than their current one. I want people who are interested in and qualified for the position and then we can discuss the salary, not the other way around.
  • We recently changed to posting the range on the job posting. We have not seen the negative side that the previous post mentions. We also see it as a way for employees to see if the job would be a move up (in pay) or not. We do not, however, post the pay ranges on our website job postings. That is still under consideration for when we set up the new applicant tracking software we are purchasing.
  • We post the salary ranges as we are union. However our administrative posting are done so without the ranges. My personal opinion is that we know the maximum range of the position and it is a waste of the ee's time for them to apply unless they (as suggested above) want "out" of their current position at any cost.
  • We post the positions with ranges internally, for the reason the previous poster mentioned... so that folks can determine if this is a step up they should apply for. Or, a step down in responsibilities, if the job description doesn't quite alert them.

The jury is still out on whether to put salary ranges in ads or on web sites, and I'd be interested in hearing folks' opinion on that. Currently we don't.

• We're a public sector organization and do post salary ranges. It gives employees more information concerning the position they may be interested in. What makes public sector different (one of the things) is that ALL of our salary information is public information. Want to know what Sam or Jane is making in relation to you? Just ask. Want to know what everyone working for the organization is making? Just ask. Anyone out there think that may lead to problems at times?? One of the things that makes life interesting.
  • We also post all positions internally before we run any outside help wanted ads. If someone from inside the company is qualified for the positon this tends to have a domino effect before all the dust settles. We assign a grade level and minimum and maximum salary ranges for every position and we always list this information on the job posting. We always close the posting with, "If you are interested and qualified for this position contact..." We do ocassionally get someone that is not qualified for the position, but we do still do a quick courtesy interview with them and point out the areas where they are not qualifed for the position and see if there is a way they could be gaining the experience needed should such a postion become open again. Also this quick interview sometimes lets us know up front if someone is really wanting out of a particular dept. and why. We may find out that we have an opportunity in a dept. that we were not aware of and give us a chance to fix it before it gets worse.
    Good luck,
    Dutch2