Bathing suit

Our employees serve clients with disabilities. Any activities arranged are based on the interests of the clients and change as the dreams of the clients change. One of our employees was asked to take a client to an indoor swimming facility. Employees must be in the pool with clients at all times. She refused to go because she doesn't feel comfortable wearing a swimming suit. I'm concerned about addressing this as a performance issue. Suggestions?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless she brought up a protected type of concern (it's against my religion to wear a bathing suit), this is a performance issue. If its a religious issue for her, then you have to look at making a reasonable accommodation and go down that road.

Its her job to serve the client. There are lots of really conservative swimming suits available. So if her problem is based on vanity, I would address it as a performance issue.

Good Luck!!
  • Thanks. I haven't seen the employee so I don't know her size but her main reason for not wanting to wear the bathing suit was because her legs were too big.
  • While I agree that your legal obligations center around protected status, there is also an employee relations issue at hand. If she is an employee who otherwise exhibits good work performance, is it really worth initiating some type of disciplinary action against her because she doesn't feel comfortable wearing a swimsuit? Maybe she feels that way because of her age or her weight. Or, maybe she is just modest. Even if she is not your best employee, it would be worth your time to ask her, directly, what her concerns are. At least, that will provide you with the information that you need in order to make a decision on how to proceed. Either way, I would be very careful about issuing ultimatums in a situation such as this, without carefully weighing the pros and cons.
  • I may be way off base here; but it seems the organization might have a Physical Education Department that works with clients on things like basketball, volleyball and other physical activities.....and maybe that staff would have people who could accept this challenge. And that's what it is, a challenge. I think you should be about the task of seeking solutions in order to address the goals of the client, not putting things on hold and disciplining a woman for her personal modesty or whatever her mindset is (and why try to figure it out?). What if her client told her she wanted to go spelunking? Sounds to me as if the objectives of your organization are lofty and commendable, but, the organization has poorly thought out the possibilities of how to address such things. Nor have you prepared for alternative solutions to addressing the endless possibilities of the goals of your clients.
  • I realize I'm repeating advice before me, but I think some of this bears repeating with a couple of small caveats.

First, I vote for starting by getting someone else to work with the client if at all possible. That way you are not losing ground serving your client while you work on the other situation.

Second, I'm all for finding out (from the person directly) why this individual doesn't want to do this part of the job. I realize I risk blowing this all out of proportion, but a swimming pool can be a very intimate environment, both in level of dress, and level of physical contact. Could it be that this employee is uncomfortable with having that level of intimacy with this client? If so, why? If this isn't at all in the picture, at least you have been proactive and offered the option to discuss it. Seems like that could be good for a business that works on such a personal level with its clients.

I really do agree that your organization should be prepared to have some sort of "way out" for employees who aren't comfortable helping folks achieve one of their "dreams." How broad are your job descriptions? Does each employee really have to do anything that comes up on the clients list? I'm guessing there are some limits. Perhaps this is just the kind of situation you need to help you establish better support and guidelines for employees and clients. Along Don's train of thought, what about skydiving, or belly dancing?

Best of luck! It sounds like this is either easier than we understand, or a tricky situation that should be handled with thought and care for all parties, including the business you work for!

• I want to get back to something for a minute. The organizations that I'm familiar with (PRTF or day situations working with the disabled, even summer camps) who utilize on site or offsite facilities with swimming pools, also have a full compliment of staff whose duty is to guard, protect, mentor and teach these individuals while they are attending that phase of their education, recreation or care. Those are the staff members who should come into play when a client requests a trip to the swimming area. They are also no doubt certified with such credentials as lifeguard, or your organization's very existence is at risk financially. My comment about spelunking and the other one about skydiving and bellydancing make me think that perhaps your organization should have a specific list of opportunities that are available for clients to choose from.....those your organization and the client can reasonably accomplish with qualified, willing staff. I know of no state supported or agency funded facility that would require any caseworker, psychiatric aide or other direct care worker to don a swim suit in this circumstance, unless the worker's job description covered it.
  • DANDY DON IS SO INSIGHTFUL WITH HIS POSTINGS, I VOTE "DANDY DON" HRero OF THE DAY! Pork for ALL!
  • mady,

I agree with all who've posted so far. Regardless of what the clients needs are, you have employee's concerns and feelings to consider. Maybe it's not a vanity issue or a self esteem issue...maybe underlying she's concerned with a potential "contact" or other harassment issue. There should be specific people whom you hire for specific activities. Something where they are aware of their duties up front.

I would feel the same in her position if it wasn't something I was aware of up front.
  • Are you sure that there are no safety related issues here. Is this individual trained to handle an emergency in a pool environment? Maybe there are some other issues that she is to embarrassed or or afraid to bring up (maybe she can't swim come to mind).

Just thought I'd throw that out there for what it worth...
  • ...or she has had a bad experience in a pool (near drowning) that she is to embarrassed to talk about and would rather stay away if possible...