Authorization for Release of Employment Information

My company has never required exiting employees to give an authorization for release of employment information. I have discussed this with my boss and he does not think it is necessary. Do all of you require this authorization before you give references on past employees? BISD

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unless you are sure all the references are going to be glowing or unless you limit references to just: dates of employment and position held, a release is not a bad idea.

Good Luck!
  • Whenever you release any information, be consistant of what you release. Refrain from giving out any deferential info.
  • I recently began using an authorization for Release of Employment Information form. Without this form signed by the employee, I only release confirmation of name, dates of employment and ending salary. I explain to the exiting employee that it is for their benefit if they want me to be able to tell inquiring prospective employers more about their job performance. I then leave it up to them (as signing the form is optional). Employees with poor performance will not sign it anyway so it is a way to help me assist those good performers with their job search while doing the standard CYA.
  • I just read an article about identity theft. Some poor employee had his identity stolen when a party called his employer, claiming a need to verify some information in order to give the employee credit. Apparently the slick talker on the phone was a criminal type, who convinced the employer to give out some personal information about the employee's pay, bank and social security number, which allowed the thief to take over his idenity and rob the employee blind.

This is another good reason to have the employee authorize the company giving out the information to a called.

Good Luck!
  • To coin a phrase: "I wouldn't leave home without it!"