Slander - Please Help

I work for a small organization and I have had several problems with the office manager/supervisor since I began my employment here. I posted "supervisor is a bully". I have just been informed that this person has been saying very bad things about me,lying to me and about me to the president of the company. I am a very professional HR person and I have done absolutely nothing wrong. I do my job and that is all. If my job happens to get this supervisor/office manager spoken to about her attitude, that is not my problem. My problem, is I am afraid that this person is trying to get me fired - I need to know how I can protect myself from slander.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • IF what you say is true, that your supervisor has "bad-mouthed" you undeservedly to managers in your compnay, then you should try and discuss the matter with a manager in your chain of command..may be the supervisor's supervisor.

Do you know what the supervisor is saying about you? What information that you have would demonstrate to the manager that what your supervisor is saying is not true? What you need is a supportive ear in the managerial chain since from what you said the CEO is getting a completely unfair report on you.

I would say talk to your supervisor first, in a postive and friendly, indicating that you realize that theyre are reasonable differences between you two, but you do want to work with her regarding the job, and want to see what both of you can do together to help improve the situation.

I would say that, but if you already posted something that called your supervisor a "bully" and she knows that, then that pretty well ends that discussion.

But if you do wind up speakng to her about your sense that she is trying to do you "in", when yo do speak to her, don't accuse her of lying or slandering or whatever. Just express the concern you have that sometimes you believe that she isn't supportive and that you want to work with her to remove any concerns she has about your performance or conduct or ability to do the job right.

• I think the advice the previous poster has given is very good. A second piece of advice is to start looking for a new job NOW. I believe you should go on a dual track -- try to improve your current job situation and look for a new job.

If this supervisor has decided to get rid of you, they will probably be able to do it. It doesn't sound like there would be any claim, because from your post, the supervisor just doesn't like you pointing out issues. The supervisor is not wanting you gone because of a protected status.

Just because you look for a new job doesn't mean you have to take one if you find one. But, it will give you more control over your life and greater leverage to have options open.

Good Luck!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-20-03 AT 11:28AM (CST)[/font][p]Thanks for the advice. I should add that I do not report to this individual. I report to the President and she does as well. But she has been with the company for many years and has a very mean and nasty attitude towards the employees that report to her. I am the one that had to step in when I came to work at this company because I had a line out my door with people filing complaints about her. I did my job and whether something was said to her or not, I do not know, but she has had it out for me since that time. I should also note that I have been looking for a new position for quite some time, but with the economy they way it is, I have not had a whole lot of luck.
  • There is one thing that I will add to Theresa's advice. Once you do land another job and have given appropriate notice and are sure the new job can't be 'cut out from under you', feel free to approach the bully and take a seat in her office, and in a very calm voice say, "I'll be leaving in a few days. I've learned a lot while here. If there is anything about my work with which you find intolerable fault, please feel free to tell me to my face so that I may consider corrective action, since we all like to understand our weaknesses. This will be much more productive than inaccurately portraying me to the manager. Thanks for listening." Then excuse yourself and prepare for your notice to be cut short by a couple of days. Don D.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-21-03 AT 10:27AM (CST)[/font][p]Thanks for the responses - I actually sat down and had a meeting with the owner of the Company. The office manager walked by 3 times checking to see what we were doing. She looked nervous - I explained to the owner what I felt was going on with this person, and he obviously knew what I was talking about because he agreed with me. I hope that maybe this situation may work itself out in time. Thanks again
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-21-03 AT 11:59AM (CST)[/font][p]Lori,

I am going to guess that the situation has not worked itself out and that you are in for more trouble in the near future.

Why? Because you didn't approach this person directly. You went to the boss and made your case. Now the office manager will go to the boss and make her case. If she is as stinky as you say and yet has been at the company awhile, she is probably pretty skilled at spinning things in her favor and making others look bad.

So, you can take the advice of others and leave. Just make sure that your next employer has only nice people so you don't have to quit again in six months.

Or, you can confront this office manager. Show her you are indeed a professional and that you expect her to communicate with you the next time she has an issue with you. Let her know that you value a good working relationship with her. If you have made a mistake, you want to make amends. Otherwise, you expect her full support just as she should have yours.

If she won't cooperate, then you can go to the director.

By the way, I totally sympathize with you. I have been there, done that. Its not fun. I wish you well.

Paul

• Thanks for the response Paul, it is very much appreciated. I am still actively looking for a new job and will do so until I leave this one. I am aware that this situation will never go away or get any better. I just do my job and keep my ears and eyes open. If she should slander me again or say any untruths about me, I have asked the President if I could have a face to face meeting with her in front of him. (I have tons of documentation)and he agreed. He hopes the whole thing will go away, but as you said, it won't and I know that. But now I have the documentation to back up what I have said. Thanks again.
  • I think that if you maneuver the President into the middle of your feud with this person, the Prez may view YOU as the problem and may give a sympathetic ear to the bully when she advocates for your dismissal. After all, these issues didn't become problems until YOU showed up, right? Don't kid yourself and think that the President's actions will be dictated by a sense of right vs. wrong. If she/he's like a lot of CEO's the path of least resistance will probably be taken and you could end up on an unemployment line. I'm not telling you to sit down with the bully and schmooze her, but I think you may have to check your ego at the door, be creative and find a way to make your relationship with her work. Your ability to do that and make the problem go away might just raise your standing with the Prez. and that's never a bad thing. I wish you luck.
  • I've learned, the hard way, that some people are just too insecure to be up-front and honest in working with others. My advice, go to this woman and "put down the swords". Do not leave the company on her account. You were hired because you know what you are doing, proven from your "stand-up" attitude in getting the woman "grilled" for mistreating her subordinates. Tell the CEO that if he wants any improvement in the work environment, he needs to be willing to "back" your play in bringing the issue to light. If he says not to roil the waters, he will continue to have issues involving this manager. If you are a "seasoned" professional, he'll get the message. If not, it's his loss.

"seasoned by fire"