Labor relations seminars or workshops

Does anyone have any info on any groups that hold workshops along the topic of "dealing with a union" or something similar? The company I just started to work for recently acquired another company with an existing union and c.b.a. Having never worked in an organized environment I need to get myself up to speed on all the basics.

Has anyone attended something or have any suggestions of where to look (I can't spend thousands of dollars -- looking for something for a few hundred to maybe $800). SHRM has a good one coming up but it costs around $4k, so that one is out of the price range!

thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BUMP! I'm looking for the same thing in Washington State. Anyone?
  • Our law firm, Krukowski & Costello (which writes the Washington, D.C. Employment Law Letter), is planning to present a seminar on collective bargaining, sometime in the Spring. If you would like, I can provide additional informaiton when the plans are firmed up.
  • As a management labor lawyer I travel the country to clients dealing with both organized and non-union situations. We provide managers and supervisors with training at their facility on both dealing with a union contract as well as how to stay non-union if that is a goal. Have you thought of getting 5- 20 or so other managers and supervisors together so that the cost is better spread throughout the organization. I can typically provide such a seminar for around $1,500 plus travel expenses. It's certainly worth putting into the budget, especially considering the costly mistakes that can be made by those unfamiliar with a unionized situation.
  • You can email Loretta, she taught the SHRM class that I took, owns her own consulting company and has lots of experience. She may travel to do that.

The Summers Advisory Group, Inc.
    Human Resources Training and Mediation
    PO Box 26523
    Shawnee Mission, KS 66225-6523
    913-402-0400 (telephone)
    913-681-1176 (fax)
    [email]tsaghr@kc.rr.com[/email]
    [url]www.summersadvisorygroup.com[/url]