Theft in the workplace

We have had a couple in instances of theft in our office - someone took a new computer monitor and another time someone stole some food that an employee had brought (funding raising items) to distribute to fellow employees. Do I have any obligation to let other employees know about these thefts, or do I just keep silent about it (as my supervisor has told me to do)?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why would you keep quiet about it? Inform all employees, remind them if they see someone who they do not recognize or do not know to stop find out why they are there and if they need help.
    Also if this has been ongoing maybe you should consider security/surveillance cameras. If you do this notify the employees, check into state laws and let them know it is for their protection. This can be done rather inexpensively and you can be discrete about the cameras.
    Theft should not be ignored or tolerated.

My $0.02 worth.
  • My .02 cents worth is that if your supervisor told you not to talk about it, don't talk about it. If you violate your supervisors directive, you could be fired. If you think that employees should be reminded to keep items secure, etc., you may want to go back to your supervisor and discuss that issue with him. A message could be put out that does not refer to the thefts that have occured.

Good Luck!
  • Could the company be held liable in a court of law if we did not tell employees of these thefts and someone had something taken from their desk, purse, etc., and then they found out that we KNEW about thefts and did nothing but keep quiet about it?
  • WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO KEEP A THIEF IN THEIR AREA OF WORK? IF YOUR SUPERVISOR TOLD YOU NOT TO MENTION OR TALK ABOUT THE EVENT, THEN YOU NEED TO FOLLOW HIS/HER INSTRUCTIONS. HOWEVER, IF THAT DOES NOT RIDE WELL WITH YOU, THEN I SUGGEST THAT MAYBE YOU MIGHT WANT TO WORK FOR A DIFFERENT SUPERVISOR EITHER IN OR OUT OF THIS COMPANY. I, for one would put out a general notice to everyone that blames no one, that we have a thief among us, and seek everyone's attention and remind all ees that the company is not responsible for personal property lost to a thief. I would alert the ee thief that we are watching and we will prosecute to the fullest extent of our capability. We would also let everyone know we have upgraded our physical security to assist us in the capture of the thief. We would also offer special days off for information leading to the identity and conviction of the thief. Good luck with your thief, Pork
  • I don't know why your supervisor doesn't want you to talk about it. He or she may have a good reason -- it may be that the company has a strong suspect and does not want to draw attention to the issue during the investigation. I can't imagine that the employees who had their things stolen would keep quiet. But I would suggest that you do not go against your supervisor's direct order. You may want to clarify with your supervisor what the limits of his/her order is about whether employees should be reminded generally to keep their personal possessions secure. Whether the company could be liable for items stolen would depend on lots of factors. I bet the company already has a policy in place that it is not responsible for these personal possessions in the workplace. But you might want to point out to your boss that you are worried that the company may have additional liablity.

Once you have done your part in advising your supervisor about the issues, you may want to write a memo to keep, in case this is ever in question later and the supervisor points the finger at you as the reason no one was told.

Good Luck!
  • First I'd want to know the rationale for your supervisor's directive. Is there an ongoing investigation?

Once you know why you were directed not to say anything, you may feel more comfortable or you can offer some suggestions about providing this information in a way not to provide grist for the rumor mill, but still let the employees know there's a problem.

Are you sure it was an employee?

• I wish I could have a different supervisor and/or work for a different company - but getting a job right now in this economy . . . yeah, right.
  • Let me clarify, I don't think you should inform the employees prior to talking to your supervisor, finding out why he does not want to say anything. I think supervisors often fear what will happen. I have found when you with hold information from the employees that they should have it always comes back to hurt you.
    Information/education is power............if it is an employee stealing they might stop, or you might get some info that helps you id the culprit. Like Pork said,why would you want to keep a thief in your office.
    Also think about it, you think the employee who had their lunch stolen has not talked about it? You know they have, and you also know that the other employees know that the company is aware of it. So by not talking about it, doing what is percieved to be nothing, what message does that send to the employees? The don't talk about it from the supervisor was probably a knee jerk reaction, when you approach it and put some of these thoughts in front of him, a supervisor with a functioning brain should be able to figure out what is the best cause of action........

My $0.02 for the day!
  • This would also make me wonder about the supervisor and why THEY didn't want you to say anything about it. Nevertheless, if that's what you were instructed to do, so be it.

Usually, a general memo advising employees there has been some "theft" in the building and a reminder to lock up or not bring their valuables into the workplace should be a sufficient "alert" to the thief (if it is inhouse). I like the idea about telling employees "we have taken measures to update our security procedures." Again, another subtle warning to the thief.