How to advertise new position

We are a growing healthcare agency with 47 employees. We have created two new "office I and II" positions to meet our increasing support needs.

Is there a requirement to offer these opportunities internally first, before we advertise in our local paper? Also, we have probably 75 very recent applications/resumes on file from a similar previously advertised position. If we review these again and find a qualified candidate, is it ethical to hire without even advertising at all?

We also have a pool of volunteers; does that make a difference in the requirements for advertising or posting of newly created positions?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi there -
    There is no specific law that requires you to post, not post, advertise or not advertise a new position. However, not posting, and not advertising, can get employers into trouble if the EFFECT of not doing so is to eliminate qualified minority candidates from your work force.

Thus, the best policy, in general, is to advertise in publications that would reach a diverse group of potential applicants who might be interested in the jobs you have available.

As for "internal posting," the reason to do this is to avoid hiring-by-favoritism, and to avoid morale issues. It is not so much a legal issue, unless you already have a written policy which states you will post positions internally. If that is the case, you must follow your own policy. But you are not required to have that policy by law.

The fact that you have a pool of volunteers out there, who might be interested and very qualified to do the position, would bode in favor of advertising the position both internally and externally.

But again, it would not be illegal to simply look at the pool of candidates you already have handy from your last selection process.

Hope this helps.

Jane Reddin
  • Why must you advertise at all? As a general rule, if a position opening would be a promotion for some of our employees, we post it. Also, we keep all applications on file for one year. Sometimes a person who is unqualified for one position, may be qualified for a different job. Since I work for a private company,I don't know if having volunteers makes a difference.