Integrity Training???

In the past 7 months we have had to terminate 4-5 employees, at the management level, for violating our company's code of ethics. Inappropiate comments, inappropriate behavior, creating hostile work environments, etc. were involved. I am at my wits end with this. Does anyone know of any sure-fire training programs that are available to get our employees to think twice before they exhibit, contribute to, or hide inappropriate behavior? How do we put the fear in them (appropriately, of course) to get them to buy into the fact that our company does not and will not condone such acts?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It starts with your CEO making a statement, not only with words but by action. We have seen a lot of ethical problems with CEO's lately, so it is understandable why ethical lapses occur elsewhere in the organization. If your CEO isn't willing to say something, or worse, has integrity problems him or herself, training won't do much good. Having said that, there has been a bit of an increase in programs dealing with ethics as a result of the business scandals, so there should be something available, but I'm not sure where.
  • Five management employees terminated for 'ethical violations' or 'illegal behaviors' in the past seven months??? If watching the ejection of 5 fellow managers in such a short period of time doesn't raise anyone's consciousness level, I'm not sure what might. You could start with something like this as a memo to each management employee: "XYZ's policies regarding sexual harassment, unacceptable workplace behaviors, ethical expectations of the company and the consequences of violating these policies are all explicit. You have a copy of those policies and requirements. If you cannot locate yours, please advise me immediately and a replacement will be furnished. In order for me to better plan for upcoming training on this subject, please respond to the following question and return your answer to me no later than 3:00 p.m. Friday."

Question: "What part of the policies or the consequences of personal non-compliance do you not understand?"
  • Your ethics problem is not unique. There is no one training event or seminar that will jolt managers or employees into ethical or moral conduct. The only way to drive the point home is to talk ethics in the workplace routinely. I went to a regional university and contracted with an ethicist to train employees on moral theory. I write quarterly articles on applied ethics in the workplace. Moral decision making must become a regular part of the organization's culture. My approach has been two fold: First, I approach the topic from a 'principle' point of view. That moral virtue (Aristotlian)is better than vice. Your life is better with virtue than it is with vice. Second, if 'doing the right thing for virtue sake' doesn't mean anything to you, then try consequentialism. If you don't follow the ethics code of conduct you will be fired. Do I have your attention now. I would just add that this a big issue and should be treated as such. Don't give up on it because it is worth your time and energy. It is the small act that develops into a big problem. There is no silver bullet. Think long-term and ongoing training. Find an ethicist.

Robert
  • Like Don D said, if the terminations don't make the point, it's hard to imagine what will.

Do you have a mission statement for your organization? Does it include wording to the effect that ethics in word and deed are a priority for your company?

Are you negatively reinforcing unethical actions? Example: Rewarding a manager who uses a Machiavellian management style.

Some say whatever you reward will be repeated. Its easy to recognize someone who sold more widgets than anyone else but it may take more time to spot the manager who demonstrated integrity in a difficult situation.

"It's the age-old struggle - the roar of the crowd on on side and the voice of your conscience on the other." Douglas Macarthur

As for me, I work in a religious non-profit so we all report to a much Higher Power.

• "If terminating an employee doesn't make a statement what does!" Often when an employee is terminated, the organization [in total] does not know nor is aware of the circumstances involved. Or the employee terminated is allowed to simply resign. Hence the statement is not made. My point is that ethics needs to be in the consciouness of all employees. It needs to be taught. It needs to be learned. It needs to be reinforced. It needs to be in our vocabulary. We need to speak words like integrity, nobility, courage over the roar of the crowd, free-mindedness,respect for persons,civility. No, we do not have an ethics statement in our mission statement; you make an excellent point! Perhaps after today - that will be corrected - thank you for the idea. And by the way, I'm not a religionist but don't we all work for God ~ ultimately?

Robert
  • Misty - I asked my teacher who owns her own company and she had the following to say...
    I am not sure what type of recommendation you are looking for. The Summers
    Advisory Group offers an effective sexual harassment course that is
    available to "get employees to think twice before they exhibit, contribute
    to, or hide inappropriate behavior." One course is for employees and another
    course is structured for management.

If you would like additional information about the sessions let me know and I will get some for you or get her in contact with you.
  • My suspicion was/is that this is not a terribly large organization; therefore, one such termination may slip under the radar, but 5 terminations like this are surefire conversation all over the organization. Even if the organization is huge, the information would spread like the smell of buttered popcorn thru a theatre and was apparently dismissed by at least four other people, the subsequent terminees. I disagree that we can 'teach an adult ethics'. We may can teach ethical principles and other such textbook stuff. But we're only teaching them ABOUT ethics, rather than teaching ethics. Pure ethics and adherence to ethical conduct, once the argument over its definition is had, comes from the same place morals come from, early childhood; a combination of education, experience and expectations from self and others who are important to one. These are obviously of-age so-called professional people who know full well the meaning and value (or de-value)of ethics and the importance of ethics in this particular workplace. The culture at a place of employment will either imply, expect, demand, ignore or tolerate ethical or unethical behaviors. And, as previously stated, expectations come from the top, nowhere else. No amount of textbook, classroom training in ethics theory and practice will change behavior one iota. An ethics educational setting for adults will either reinforce their ethical standards or teach them more about the reasons for their unethical behavior. Neither will change or improve them. They may listen and take notes and shoot ideas back and forth across the largest table in the building for half a day. But, if the person is prone to unethical practices, he'll only really be figuring out how to get comp time for attending the meeting or how to expense off to the company the cost of the Subway sandwiches you provided mid-day. Whoever said (above) to simply tell them the company's expectations and then tell them if they deviate I will fire you, pretty much sums up ethical education for the new employee. To totally digress, I think the personal claim to not be 'of a religion' has nothing to do with the choice of a particular style and size of a brick congregating building, or none at all. If a religionist is one who adheres to a religion and religion is the service and worship of God and you admit answering to a power at that level, you are by definition a religionist, absent the brick building and Sunday suits all in a row. But, religion doesn't necessarily equal ethics as evidenced by Falwell, Jim Bakker, Swaggert and Farrahkan. Neither necessarily accompanies the other. But, I admire Paul for shouting his adherence to both.

• Before things digress too far for which I would be at fault, let me go on the record to say this is an important issue and well worth discussing. Integrity, ethics, morals are complex topics and it would be easy to dismiss these notions because of the potential for offending someone. Yet, I think we need to tackle them!

My point was just to say that I feel fortunate to work in an organization where this a very clear shared set of values.

How other companies tackle integrity and ethics would be very interesting to discuss.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • If what you want is really integrity training as opposed to training on harassment issues or on your specific policies, you might take a look at [url]http://www.dodsontraining.com/[/url]

One of our departments used his training on ethics and integrity and got a good response with it. I haven't heard him speak yet, but I believe he's scheduled to come back to train all of our management team sometime soon.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-26-02 AT 09:33AM (CST)[/font][p]Build up the ranks with new employees that you feel DO understand and value integrity up front. It will take time and a combination of efforts (training and other suggestions above) to overcome the company culture. Make sure you replace the 5 you fired with 5 employees you feel strongly value integrity and let them know they might have to stick their neck out sometimes to stay true to this value, but you're looking for employees who are committed to integrity. I've always felt that when you know you're going into a sticky situation before you get there, it's a little easier to stick to your guns when things get rough.
  • Integrity cuts both ways. On one hand its comforting to know your employees aren't stealing from you or placing you at risk of litigation due to their unethical behavior. On the other hand, if your company culture allows cutting corners or condones misbehavior, an individual with integrity is going to be a thorn in your side when it comes time to cut corners, bend rules, and look the other way.

Darcy Ewing, 8 time world champion snowmobiler, was kicked off his professional team because he wouldn't be sponsored by the alcohol industry. Undaunted, he stayed in the sport and went on to a ninth world title (with his convictions intact).

Do we want people with integrity or people that can "play the game" and not rock the boat? I don't think you can have both.
  • Do we want people with integrity or people that can "play the game"
    and not rock the boat? I don't think you can have both.

I totally agree with Paul and that is not necessarily something that you can train to have. I agree with the other posts that intergrity may very well be dictated by your culture. It is interesting...these posts have made me see that although we do not have a problem now, I can see where this could become an issue in the future. The forum is always such a great learning place. Thanks everyone.
  • As a training tool, I recommend Ten Danger Zones for Supervisors. It's 10 videotapes (including one on harassment) that gives you everything you need to conduct your own customized training session, including icebreaker activities, handouts, overheads, etc. It's pretty good, despite the fact that I did a lot of work on it.
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/videos.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Let me echo what James mentioned---an outstanding resource.We like to tell clients to renew their "marriage vows" once a year---and not on the date of the annual evaluation---on important policies and procedures.So have the employee look over and read the materials and policies on ethical conduct,and commit to those beliefs once again.Regards from texas, Mike Maslanka,mmaslanka@godwingruber.com
  • James, Kodoos to you and your cohorts that put it together. I have used it now with three Leadership courses as "my meat and potatoes"! It worked well for me and it covered the basis for the students (managers and supervisors)in major areas of HR concerns. In each there was always room for discussion of the grey areas between law and the real world of execution. It is in the grey areas that there may be room for integrity type discussion and leds the way for direction to the learner. Dandy Don is correct, we can only talk and teach about the principles, it is in the action of all of us that the valued action is put into concrete. Our World Com leaders may have gotten inside preferred information on new stock offerrings and invested low and sold higher; do you fault the broker or the individual? YOU FAULT BOTH: BOTH BROKE THE LAW AND SHOULD GO TO JAIL. Now where is the broker so I can get some good tip on how to be "left behind"! If you HRs out there have not read "left behind", don't pick up book one if you don't have a few minutes, and there are seven more behind that one. All are filled with demanding thoughts and the bottom line on integrity. Just imagine a world with integrity as the no#1 value, we would not need armies and govenments and different churches; I could go on but I want for now. Good luck Pork
  • I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my question. We are a company who is committed to excellence in all areas of employment. As one of our committed employees, I am determined to do my best to provide the appropriate training, guidance, and counseling to our employees to assistant in their professional growth.

One thing I do realize is that our "integrity core" is not trickling down from our CEO, to all our managers out their in the various states we operate in. Communication is the key and it starts from the top.
  • >
    >One thing I do realize is that our "integrity core" is not trickling
    >down from our CEO, to all our managers out their in the various states
    >we operate in. Communication is the key and it starts from the top.

I think you came full circle and hit it on the head with your final assessment. no amount of think tank, high-dollar, seminar-type, consultant provided lecture will BRING integrity to your company. It must come from the top. If you are certain it EXISTS at the top, the challenge for you is to make the commitment a fully understood part of the culture there, no matter how many remote sites you have. If you do decide to pursue a professional seminar, please have the CEO kick each meeting off with a firm statement acknowledging his expectations.
  • I agree, if terminations don't raise awareness, what will?

When I was a teen,(after junior high humiliation) my dad cautioned me about putting anything on paper that I wouldn't want the whole world to see. On a larger scope, our management teams gives each a "60 minutes?" cue. If we wouldn't want to say it on 60 minutes, don't say it.