seasonal employment

Does anyone know if FLSA or DOL has any specifics on what constitutes the maximum amount of time for a seasonal employee?

i.e. 3 months, 6 months, 9 months????

I've already looked on [url]www.dol.gov[/url] site, and it only covers exemptions for migratory and seasonal agricultural workers.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you asking about exemptions from having to pay minimum wage?
  • Nope, I just need to know if there is a specific limit of time somone can be a seasonal employee.
    Sorry I wasn't clear, pay is not a question.We're a resort hotel and we have 3 seasons, which over lap each other.
    Winter, shoulder (spring or fall) and peak(summer).
  • As far as I know, it's an employers right to define it's own part time, seasonal, temporary and full time job parameters. I'm not familiar with any law that might supersede the employer's right to manage that. I'll be interested to read if there is one.
  • Don,

Thank you, I believe that's what I'll find; but it always seems there is some obscure overlooked regulation that we miss. So I thought I'd check with you all first.
  • typically you'll find that the Wage Hour Laws speak to exemptions and pay requirements, comp time, docking, paychecks, recordkeeping and such things and (thankfully) don't monkey with such definitions as seasonal and full time and part time. Those will vary up and down the street and from industry to industry. One suggestion though: If your policy mentions achieving a certain valued employee status level after a certain period of time (full time, regular, permanent), you'd want to stick by your definition of what a seasonal employee is and not be inconsistent with which ones of them might move to the higher status. And you were correct about the DOL oversight of Migrant and Seasonal Farm Workers and Itinerant Farm Worker Movements. x:-)