September 11

Soon it will be a year. Are any of you HR folks planning any kind of memorial observance? A tribute? A recognition of that tragic day?

Comments

• 31 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Funny you should write this - I just sent a memo yesterday to our General Manager suggesting that we honor our local police and fire stations in some way, and hope to hear back on that soon. It seems insignificant in some way, but anything would be small considering what happened . . .x0:)

• I just read an article on this yesterday and I was going to bring this up with senior management today. In the article they mentioned bringing in TV's for folks to watch the memorial services, giving the day off since President Bush declared September 11th as Patriot's Day and observing a moment of silence.

I would be interested, too, in finding out what other companies are doing.
  • The City of Dothan, Alabama (my employer) is planning a rather elaborate memorial service to honor those who lost their lives in New York 9/11/01 as well as our local 'heroes'-- our police and fire departments and 15 employees who are currently activated for military service as a result of 9/11.

Kai Davis

• Glad you brought it up Ritaanz... After reading your post we are looking to see how we can recognize the significance of that day.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • After talking to management, we are trying to get satellite TV's set up in our lunch rooms (we have 2 different locations) so that our employees can watch the memorial ceremony's on TV during their breaks, lunch, etc. We are also looking to get everyone together for a small memorial ceremony.

• each year our facility makes an intergenerational quilt using handprints of our daycare children and our residents, this year we are using red blue and gold hand prints and the reverse side will be a red white blue design in honner of our nations loss. as I am the 'quilt maker' I am excited about this years quilt.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-14-02 AT 03:44PM (CST)[/font][p]Great idea! What do ya'll do with the quilt? What if you sent it to the wife of the "Let's Roll" guy for their child? I think his name was Beemer. His pregnant wife appeared with President Bush on stage and during the State Of The Union Address, she was recognized by Bush, in the audience. She also appeared on several television specials about 9/11. Just a thought.
  • We will probably make this a "red white and blue" dress day. We may even put a charitable spin on it by allowing ees to "purchase" the right to make it a casual day (so long as they wear the appointed colors). They would purchase this extra casual day by bringing in one nonperishable food item for a donation box.

We are also looking at getting small flags to distribute throughout the office, etc. We will also invite our local blood donation facility to bring out their blood mobile at some point in september. We encourage all ees to donate (on company time).
  • We will be having a special red, white and blue "potluck", which will begin with a moment of silence lead by our President.
  • Can anyone tell me more about the moment of silence lead by President Bush. We were discussing what to do today in a meeting and someone brought up that there was going to be a national moment of silence, but not many people knew about it. We were planning to do a moment of silence, fly our flag at half mast and maybe take a collection for our local fire and police. If anyone can shed some light I would appreciate it. Thanks
  • Oops! When I said we are having a moment of silence lead by our President, I meant the President of our company. Sorry!
  • We just made our final plans today for Sept 11.
    We are going to hand out to each employee a 4 x 4 piece of paper that they can write their own words on or a drawing and then make a patchwork quilt banner with them that we will hang up that day. I like the idea of donating a can of food. Thanks for the idea.
  • In addition to thinking about what companies can do to commemorate the anniversary, we in HR should also be thinking about what kind of impact the day will have emotionally for our employees. Being from the Boston area, I know of many individuals who lost loved ones that fateful day, and for them it will be the anniversary of something close to home.

I think if your company has an EAP program, e-mails or memos should go out in advance letting employees know that if they are having a hard time emotionally, that there are resources out there for them.

I also just received my AHI Employment Net Letter, and they have an interesting free report on "Preparing for the Anniversary of 9/11". The report can be accessed from: [url]http://www.ahipubs.com[/url], just click on the link that says "Free Reports".
  • >
    >I think if your company has an EAP program, e-mails or memos should go
    >out in advance letting employees know that if they are having a hard
    >time emotionally, that there are resources out there for them.
    >

This is a great idea! We too have people affected by this terrible tragedy. We are in NJ, less than an hour from NY. Many people from this company had loved ones in or near the city that fateful day. Thankfully, not many lost loved ones, but some did. It certainly is also going to be hard on the surviors of the tragedy to relive that day.

• Can anyone tell me if there are any articles on what other companies are doing to honor the anniversary?? My Director wants to see an article of "suggestions" on what other companies are doing to remember that day. Any help on where to go??
  • I just downloaded the article KDowney referred to above from ahipubs and it has some suggestions at the end of the article on what other companies are doing.

• Yes, I downloaded that as well, but my boss wants more information. There wasn't enough info...or he wants additional info or other ideas from companies...does anyone know of any other web sites or articles?
  • I suggest you print out this entire discussion with its many comments and suggestions for your director. I can't imagine telling someone to go find me an article on something in order to help me make up my mind. This thread on the Forum is much more valuable than any article you will be able to find. It's written by real people, not a reporter.
  • Our company is thinking about having t-shirts printed with the NY skyline showing the two beams of light where the WTC once stood. On the t-shirts we would have the caption "Coming out of the dark" The proceeds of the t-shirt sale would be donated to the local police, fire, and Red Cross. All employees would be encouraged to wear the t-shirt on 9-11.
  • Our plans have just been finalized. Our small town will have a ceremony in the plaza, lasting less than 30 minutes. Low key and solemn. The Mayor and Commissioner will make brief statements, (it is election year) followed by the presenting of the Colors by the Police Dept. honor guard,pledge of alligence, followed by a few patriotic songs. It will be concluded with the downtown churches all ringing their bells. I think it will be beautiful. As City employees we are even being allowed time off to attend and they are delaying the opening of City hall 1 hour. Of course if you choose not to attend you must be at your desk.
  • I've put together information for our staff using some of the suggestions in the above mentioned article about how to cope with the emotions of the anniversary [talk about it if comfortable, write in a journal if not; be cautious about watching too much tv coverage]. I'm also including suggestions we have received from some staff and volunteers already--wear red, white & blue; pause at noon to say the Pledge of Allegiance; drive with headlights on. We're allowing employees time to attend a memorial service if they wish, and will set up the office tv in the conference room for those who wish to watch some of the tv coverage. I work for an orchestra and our musicians are still on summer break, otherwise we would have a special concert scheduled. Instead, our Artistic Administrator is working on arrangements for a free organ recital in our concert hall. Employees are encourage to attend some or all of that. And I'm encouraging all staff members to make other suggestions. I may be over-reaching but we have a wide variety of personalities on our small administrative staff, and my Executive Director and I are trying to be sensitive to the different ways our staff members cope, as well as how well they are coping.
  • Hi again,

I saw another good article on dealing with the anniversary of September 11th, and I thought it might be of help.

[url]http://www.erexchange.com/articles/db/E590C353910B45D9AA3FFBA99798FC50.asp[/url]
  • GREAT ARTICLE! I'm forwarding it to my Director and GM for review. Thanks!!
    =D>

• I am still working on it, but I think we are going to hand out ribbons for the employees to wear. If for some reason that doesnt' work, then we are going to suggest that everyone wear red, white, and blue. I would also really like to have a moment of silence, but I am not sure that is going to happen.
  • We have decided to have a potluck and a moment of silence. We are also going to have organ donor cards and information available for employees.
  • Because of the variety of personalities and attitudes in our Cambridge-based firm, I came up with an approach that will allow folks to do business-as-usual or participate in remembrances, as they see fit.

We are having a delayed opening, opening the office at 11, for those who want to spend the exact moments of the attack with their families, or at organized events.

We have set aside a conference room and will have continual
    TV feed for those who want to check in on what the world is doing in remembrance throughout the day.

We are encouraging folks who wish to be out for the day to take personal or vacation time. We are permitting sick time to be used if they have it..... not quite the appropriate use of sick time in our policy but a one-time relaxing of the rules to give as many options as possible for paid time off. I've also encouraged supervisors to be flexible with their scheduling where possible. We are an r&d firm with fairly flexible time anyway, but the admin staff can get caught in a bind in these situations, hence the request to supervisors and the delayed opening.

It was hard to imagine any one thing suiting a large number of needs so this multi-faceted approach seemed right. I have gotten very good response to my e-mail announcing these steps, the most rewarding of these saying things like "this is exactly the type of caring thing I would hope our company would do in this situation. this is why i like working here." We'll see if i still think it's a success after the fact!!!

I owe the posters in this thread for the ideas and the motivation to do something. Thanks to you all.

• This thread motivated me to do something too. We have encouraged our employees to dress in red, white and blue to show their patriotism. We also have encouraged all employees to observe a minute of silence at noon. Further, in the past we have occassionally offered "dress-down for charity" days. So, on Wednesday employees may dress down for the price of a canned good which will be donated to the local Rescue Mission. I intend to bring red, white and blue ribbons to be distributed to all employees. We are located in the midwest and no one in the organization had a direct connection to those who lost lives. However, this seems little enough to do to honor our country and the victims of Sept 11.
  • I know this is not a contest; but, I would have to 'vote' for Caroliso near the bottom of the responses as the most logical entry. Everyone has great ideas that come from the heart. I think delaying opening time to allow every individual some freedom of choice and relaxing policies that day is a great thing. Personally, I don't want to suggest to others that they do what I think is what we should do on this occasion. Personally I feel we are already witnessing the networks and cable news channels beginning to jockey for what they think will win them the 'overkill' award for 24/7 reminders. I like what Mrs. Bush says about leaving off the TV, especially with the children. In order to totally avoid radio and television overkill and any form of group think, I am taking a day off and trying to occupy myself with something totally not-germain to 9/11, whatever I can find, so I won't be a basketcase on 9/12.
  • Thanks Don, I'm with you. We can easily get caught up in the blitz of media coverage. I prefer a quiet rememberance.