Performance Reviews

We want to institute a very informal, quarterly review for non-management employees. This would be in addition to the formal, yearly reviews. My question is, can we do this just for non-management employees, or do we have to have a consistant review process for all employees? (Currently everyone has the yearly reviews.)

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's nothing wrong with having different review processes based on job classification. What you're moving toward is very similar to what we've done for about 3 years now.
  • Good luck doing quarterly reviews. I would love to hear if you can keep that pace up for long. My experience is that its hard to get supervisors to review employees that often. You might have a different experience.

We do bi-annual reviews and even that sometimes can seem to be a strain for supervisors.

I think you want to avoid rushed, poorly thought out reviews. Perhaps, however, you have a system that allows supervisors to quickly review employees. When would the reviews be? On the same day for everyone or different days? Are there any pay increases tied to these reviews? What hapens if an employee does not receive his review?

Just curious..

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • The review I have proposed is a one page form that would be handwritten by the supervisor. We are a corporate office for a manufacturing comcpany and there would only be about 12 people involved. Our problem was that with our current yearly review system supervisors were giving great reviews to people who, 4 months before, they were ready to fire. When the person shaped up in anticipation of their review the past was forgotten. The inferior performance would reappear soon after the review, and the cycle was killing us. We fired an employee for cause but it wasn't well documented by the reviews and we're having to fight it.

Since it is informal there is no merit increase attached to it - only to the yearly review. I want something so the supervisor is reminded of what went on during the, both good and bad. It works both ways. Also since it is informal, if it is a couple of weeks off in either direction, no big deal.

What was your experience?
  • I think we all can see how a quarterly review can be beneficial to the person receiving it. What we did was to get the supervisors to see the benefit to them - primarily, that one of the main things dragging our system down was the pressure supervisors felt to make each year's review "the ultimate document". Since it was only being done once a year, there was a certain amount of pressure to cover every aspect of the employee's performance so thoroughly, that it caused a lot of procrastination.

Now that we're doing it quarterly, it's much easier because supervisors know they can cover those issues on a more timely basis.