Alien hire

What are the requirements for hiring an alien? What are the docs needed? Is a Social Security number required.

Thanks for your help,

Nancy

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When you have them fill out the application, hopefully one of the very first questions on your app is, " Only U.S. Citizens or aliens how have legal right to work in the U.S. are eligible for employment. Can you, upon employment, submit documentation verifying your legal right to work in the U.S. and your identity?"

At that point if they answer yes, and if that was the only thing preventing you from hiring them, if you decide to hire the, when they fill out their I-9 form within their first three days of work, you must ask for proof. Being an ex-alien myself (from S. Africa), I know what they should have. I presented my alien card, which showed that I was able to work in the U.S. and when it expired. I also had a social security card with the sentence on it saying that it was valid for work in the U.S. Be careful though because you cannot ask for more than the I-9 Form lists, so read that carefully and do only what it says, otherwise you could be sued for discrimination.

Hope this helps.

Ana
  • There are a number of employment visas; H1, TN etc. which will enable an alien to become authorized to work for a particular company. You and your attorney can help them obtain such a visa. (A TN, valid for Canadian or Mexican citizens only, is very easy and you can do it yourself without an attorney - I would NOT suggest trying to do the others on your own.) However, only certain positions can be held by employees on employment visas; a permanent resident is another story.