Employment reference form

Does anybody have a form that you use when calling for employment reference?, What are some of the questions you can and cannot ask when calling for job reference?. Thanks in advance

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Some of the legal issues to consider in reference checking are privacy, Fair Credit Reporting Act, defamation, negligent hiring and State labor codes. Many companies don't want to share more than position, dates of employment and they will verify salary, usually if the employee signed an authorization to release information prior to leaving, and/or at their new place of employment. We do both here.

The guidelines we use are as follows:
    1) Identify the interview/resume data to be verified, e.g. job title, dates of empl. Then target new info to be sought which is typically not determined in a resume, such as the applicant's level of performance, perceived strengths, or eligibility for rehire.
    2) Design specific questions for verification, plus fact-oriented ones to elicit new information.
    3) When calling and after introducing yourself use language such as "I'd like to verify some info on...." instead of using the word "reference check".
    4) Prepared questions should fall into the following categories: basic facts, job content, supervision, performance level, major skill areas and personal traits and abilities affecting the job.
    5) Start with neutral questions, verifying dates, position and basic job duties. Obviously avoid illegal questions, and these are the same ones that cannot be asked during an interview. Don't make them general questions either or there is the risk of misunderstanding/incorrect info given. And of course never ask for their personal judgements, stick to the facts.

The form we use has these questions:

1) What was your relationship with the applicant?
    2) How long did you supervise/work with this person?
    3) What were the appl. job title & duties?
    4) How would you compare them with others doing the work?
    5) Srong points?
    6) Areas for improvement?
    7) If I were this person's supervisor, what advice would you have for me to maximize his/her performance on the job?
    8) Supervisory ability?
    9) Describe how he/she got along with people
    10) Attendance/puctuality
    11) Did this person exhibit any common personality traits that interfered with work performance? Examples.
    12) Reason for leaving
    13) Would you rehire?
    14) Position for which best qualified
    15) Additional comments

Checker's comments

Ref. Checked by: Date:

Hope this helps.

Ana
  • We have a reference consent form for the applicant to sign, and also a list of reference questions that we ask. Let me know your e-mail address and I can send electronic copies to you if you're interested.
  • My email address is: [email]jbanda@americanleather.com[/email] thanks
  • Sent to you via e-mail today. Hope it helps!
  • Good morning
    I would find it helpful to review your sample letter. If you would please e-mail to [email]katey@jnu.amljia.org[/email] ;sure appreciate it.
    Have a good week.
    Thanks
    Katie
  • Katey - I e-mailed the forms to you today.
  • I would be very careful about how I ask about attendance in a reference check. Use this question, "Excluding disability or absences covered by FMLA, about how many days of work did ______________ miss in the last year of employment?

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]