Regret Letter

I am looking for sample regret letters for unsolicted resumes or for individuals whom are not being interviewed. Does anyone have any samples they wish to share?

Thanks!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'd be glad to e-mail them to you if you give me your e-mail address.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-17-01 AT 03:34PM (CST)[/font][p]If you'd like to share sample regret letters with everyone on the Employers Forum, e-mail the letter to [email]webeditor@hrhero.com[/email] and I'll post all the samples on a separate page of the website for everyone's convenience.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-19-01 AT 04:39PM (CST)[/font][p]Thanks for sending the sample regret letters, Dianna and cedupree. Everyone may view them at [url]http://www.hrhero.com/policies/policyindex.shtml[/url]

cedupree also sent a policy & producures handbook for small companies, which is posted on the above page.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • In responding to unsolicited resumes we receive, we use a very simple meesage on a post card mailed to the sender, which reads:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding employment opportunities with our company.

We are in the process of evaluating your qualifications against our current job openings. If appropriate, we will contact you directly to arrange for a personal interview.

We appreciate your interest in Wolohan Lumber Co.

Sincerely,
    Human Resources

• I use the following depending on the situation.

Dear ( ):

Thank you for your interest in our organization. At this time we do not have any job openings. We will keep your resume on file for consideration should a position become available that we feel meet your qualifications. Best of luck in your job search.

Sincerely

If the applicant applied, was interviewed but not chosen, the following is an example of appropriate language.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in considering the (position name) here at the (name of organization). We have finished our interview process and we have selected a person whom we feel is the best match for our needs for the job.

We would like to thank you again for your interest in the (name of organization) and wish you continued success in the pursuit of your career objectives.

Hope these help. Madeline
  • It is not required that unsolicited resumes for unadvertised job positions be maintained. To state that one will be maintained in a file in case a position becomes open needlessly opens the company to a legal charge of discrimination based on "my resume was recieved before yours".
  • I agree with the last message about maintaining resumes. If a company wants to maintain a resume it should be for a limited time (like 30 days), and if you mention maintaining the resume to the applicant, you should let them know that it is for a limited time only. At the end of the thirty days, toss it.

Otherwise, 6 months later a position could come open, and the company probably doesn't even look at the old resumes. Then the applicant sues saying "Im more qualified than who you hired, so you didn't hire me because of ____ (race, sex, etc). The company who told the applicant that it would maintain the resume will have a hard time saying the applicant did not apply (which in the normal case, would be a good defense).

Also, most people will have found positions within a few months, so maintaining the resume indefinately is just an extra burden for the employer.

One caveat however: hiring material (applications, resumes, etc) for actual vacancies must be maintained for a set period of time. I believe the EEOC regulations say that the should be retained for one year.

Good Luck!!
  • So are we required to keep the resumes of all applicants who applied for an advertised position for one year? And if we are, are we required to go to those resumes when another opening comes up?