Diversity & The Terrorist Attack

Diversity training is mandated in our agency and in light of the terrorist attack on 9/11 there are mixed feelings with some staff about attending diversity training. Are any of you dealing with this issue and how are you handling it?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • what is the concern?...is it that someone will pop off about those from the middle east during the training and there will be arabs or those of the islamic faith in the training?...i understand that can be a real concern,but it may be better to have a controlled reaction(that is,in the confines of diversity training) instead of an uncontrolled one in the middle of the office...perhaps the training will help you avoid that scenario...good luck...regards from dallas,mike maslanka 214-659-4668
  • I totally agree with Mike's "controlled reaction" description. Diversity training would be an excellent opportunity to get your employer's diversity/tolerance policy out front and center. Also, it'll give employees the chance to vent, get their concerns off their chests. With healthy "controlled reaction" exchanges, perspectives will be shared and people will learn from them. If Arabs are part of your audience, be prepared to hear a different perspective on how America is viewed in the middle east. Many people in that part of the world feel they have legitimate grudges. We aren't planning to do diversity training, but as a former diversity manager for a large corporation, I say this is an opportunity you dare not pass up.
  • Mike & Gar - Thanks for your responses. I probably should clarify a little here. Diversity training is mandated with us on a yearly basis - not just in light of the recent attacks. We've been doing it for a number of years and everyone in the agency goes through it every four years. There isn't anyone with us of arabic descent, so I'm not concerned about outbursts in that respect. One person in particular, who has not been through diversity training in quite some time made the comment that in light of the recent attacks - they were not going to go through diversity training this time because they weren't feeling very diverse right now. Knowing the history of this person, I don't think it would matter what culture mix we had in the training - even with controlled responses - it could become very uncomfortable for the instructors and other employees in the training. I don't know that there's anything I can do about the situation right now, I just wondered if anyone else out there was dealing with the same type of issues.
  • The main issue today is whether diversity training or the reality of life will affect the area termed profiling. In the present situation there is no question that profiling will be done because it appears obvious that individuals from the middle east were the force behind the attack on the United States. It is not to say that all people from that area are involved in a plot. However, the situation does present itself and diversity is best managed now that no one just because of similarity should be made a victim of retaliation.
  • You might also consider training about work styles to teach the group how much alike they are. This is a great way to give your employees some insight into how different people view their work and how that can cause conflict. It will teach them tolerance of people who see the work world differently, will give them a language to talk about differences that removes the personal aspect and will give them insight into the fact that the person that drives them crazy is often times the same type they are. I'll be glad to discuss it with you. Call me at 615-371-8200 if you are interested.

One last note which I hope doesn't sound like a soap box.... You might remind your employee that being an American means diversity. Other countries were usually formed by groups that shared the same ethnic, religious and/or cultural beliefs. Only in America can you be Irish and American, Italian and American, Chinese and American, Arabic and American, German and American, Japanese and American, Latino and American, Christian and American, Jewish and American, Muslim and American, Buddist and American, Southern and American, Cajun and American, Amish and American, etc. There's a reason we are called the melting pot.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge