Terminally Ill Employee

We have an employee with lung cancer. He is currently in the hospital and his family is there 24 hours a day, in shifts.

Any suggestions on what we might do him or for the family?

Any suggestions on how to best handle the situation in the office? (i.e. I have our EAP prepared to send a counselor on site when the inevitable happens.)

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • About the only thing that comes to mind is to have folder prepared and ready to be discussed with the spouse, containing information on Life Ins, COBRA, Pension, any final pay etc.
    Don Avery
  • Couple of suggestions:

1. offer to send someone from the employer to sit with the patient while the family can go outside, for a short walk, lunch etc.... The family takes a beeper and can be paged if something arises. a/k/a respite type of service

2. a gift cert at a nearby restaurant to enable the family to have a quick meal.

3. if small children are involved, arrange for them to be cared for during an afternoon or evening; providing relief to that care-giver.

4. pray with them
  • I agree with Down-the-Middle. The employee and his family need help right now. For example, is his family eligible for grief counseling through your EAP? Does your company's life insurance allow terminally ill employees to cash in their policy before they die? Or waive the premium for disabled employees?

Bringing a meal to the home is usually welcome. Even if they don't accept your offer, it probably would mean a lot to the employee, his family, and co-workers.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Thank you for your suggestions so far. It is helpful. In all the years I have been in this business, this is my first illness and what will ulimately be a death to deal with.

I have given his family the number for our EAP and encouraged them to call. I have helped them through the insurance maze (thankfully they have cancer insurance) and have looked into the veterans administration and social security administration for help.

I have counseled his coworkers and reminded them that an EAP is available. I have also arranged for a counselor from the EAP to come to the worksite when the time comes.

We are taking up a collection and the company will contribute generously.

I have encouraged the coworkers to visit and give the family a break. I do so regularly myself.

We are an advertising agency so we will prepare an obituary for the family and have a picture ready.

What am I forgetting?

• Cheers to your organization. Sounds like a great environment to work in.
  • One thing I have done in the past that has been greatly appreciated is to help the family through the myriad of bills/insurance papers after the death. The paperwork is terrible to have to deal with -- we just took everything to the office, matched up bills with EOB's, submitted what needed to go where, and set up files for the spouse.

This is a difficult thing to go through -- my thoughts are with you.
  • We just had an employee pass away three weeks ago due to natural causes (not terminal illness). It sounds like you are right on track with what you are doing. I also agree with Cheryl S. about doing whatever you can to help with the paperwork/insurance side of things. That is such a burden to have to deal with when you have lost a family member. That is what I am helping the family with right now. And know that through the help that you are already giving the family, that will make them aware that you are there for them when they need you or have questions that they think you might be able to help them with. Keep doing what you're doing - it's definitely a hard thing to deal with, but you WILL get through it. PROMISE!
  • All of the suggestions you have received are great. One additional thing that we did was to bring in the EAP during the illness to talk to the immediate group of co-workers and allow them discuss their feelings and how they are coping at this point. We did this in several similar cases last year and it really helped to prepare the employees for the inevitable.
  • I am sure you or the family have already taken advantage of this, but don't forget Hospice benefits. They can really be of such benefit to both the terminal patient as well as the family. They can also be with the family when employees might not be able to get to the hospital. Good luck. Sad issue to deal with.
  • Ditto to Bonnie's message. The EAP counselor's can help prepare the workforce for what is coming. This is as valuable as their involvement after the event.