nightstand---what are you reading?

so,what is on your nightstand? i'm reading maximum success,which talks about the 12 types of 90/10 employees--that is,90% of the time they are great,but the other 10% so terrible you wonder whether it's worth it...it talks about how to turn them around...a great book...what about you?...regards from a baking dallas,mike maslanka

Comments

• 32 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I recently read Who Moved My Cheese, and have recommended and given it to countless people since. It's a quirky short fable that, once you get past the simplistic cartoon-like setting, delivers a fantastic moral: stop fretting about why things change and waiting for the universe to tilt in your direction. Instead, invite change and own your destiny. In my world, the hi-tech industry in the northeast corridor, the message is very timely.
  • I just completed Gore Vidal's "Lincoln." It has nothing to do with HR work but it is a reminder of how times have changed over the past 136 years since the Civil War. Just think, although slavery was all but abolished by early 1865, there was no minimum wage or Fair Labor Standards Act. Glass cieling and Equal Pay? Women couldn't even vote in most states let alone hold jobs comparable to men. And when they did perform work similar to men, they were paid less than half what their male counterpart made. Disabilities? There was no ADA and no social security system to act as a safety net for the disabled. Workers' Comp? If you survived an on-the-job injury, you were left on your own and probably destitute. FMLA? Usually, an extended leave led to employment termination. Veteran's Rights? If you were a returning veteran there was no guarantee you'd get your job back. And there was no GI bill for housing and education. ERISA? What pension? Most workers didn't receive one. Child labor? If you were a male in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, you worked in the coal mines side-by-side with your dad and older brothers by the time you were 13. If you were African American, regardless of gender, you picked cotton at eight years of age. Diversity? A pipe dream that even the liberal radicals in the then Republican Party would never have dreamed of. My, how the times have certainly changed!!!
  • You guys are all too smart for me. I am reading trashy romance novels.
  • Me too, but not trashy novels. I only read an occasional business book nowadays. Currently, I'm reading "Revolucion de los Colgados" by B.A Traven - in Spanish.
  • I never read work related material at bedtime. My goal is to escape from my world for a while and visit others. I just finished "Katrina's Wings" about a young girl growing up in the south during the 1970's.
  • I'm with Frenchie -- I used to try reading work material at night -- then had a hard time getting to sleep. Now I'm reading books on gardening -- my new favorite hobby!
  • i just finished reading,"dealing with people you can't stand" by brinkman and kirschner...it deals with the 10 most unwanted employee types--whiner,the yes person,the tank(to name just three)...and gives concrete and helpful advice on how to deal with them... it's a book on the most important topic for employment law---how to communicate effectively---and is an easy,user friendly read...give it a try...regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-02-01 AT 11:07AM (CST)[/font][p]I'm reading a book recommended by a friend for stress management: Wherever You Go There You Are, by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I wasn't sure whether it would be helpful until I got past the introduction, but this book is a real gem. Definitely a book worth keeping and re-reading at least once a year. The author doesn't waste words; every sentence sinks in.

What other books have you all found helpful in dealing with stress? I know the HR field is a high-stress occupation - if someone in the company has a problem, you're probably the one dealing with it or coaching someone else how to!
  • also, a good source of information is the harvard business review---it is well written,easy to read,and has lots of good hr information...regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • I recently finished Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work by Richard Carlson. I think very highly of his work generally and found this little book to be equally full of gems. Most of it is "common sense," but as we know, common sense is frequently not that common and is surely often forgotten!
  • The responses to this message are intriguing and seem to relate to more than one topic. On the surface, it is very simple - what are we reading, the answers to which include a lot of business related books, some not related to business and now we are reading about stress. In another conversation, the topic is whether or not an organization can force employees to take vacation.

This all seems to validate our culture - work like heck until we die, or is that too harsh. An article in the Los Angeles Times this past weekend contrasted the work culture in Europe vs. the US including the difference in vacation practices. The article included a cultural statement - "in Europe they work to live, in the US we live to work". There is some truth to this, and since our culture is so work oriented there is pressure to keep up. A lot of people thrive in this environment but sometimes at a price.

A balance in life is very important and I hope that we don't forget that.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-01 AT 07:37AM (CST)[/font][p]Mike,

I've just about finished Terry McMillan's "A Day Late and A Dollar Short." Essentially it's about a very dysfunctional family. It's making for good and interesting reading - funny in some places, tragic in others. It has characters everyone can recognize. There is mom who is a chronic asthma sufferer; dad whom mom just kicked out of the house and is living with a woman young enough to be his daughter (she's pregnant) and her 3 kids; daughter number one who is a business success, leads a lonely single life and realizes she's addicted to prescription pain killers; daughter number two who learns her husband had a child with another woman 15 years earlier; daughter number three whom everyone feels isn't that bright and learns that her child was repeatedly sexually molested by her second husband who is a cop and the son who is an alcoholic and habitual felon who gets busted for beating up his ex-wife's husband.

Ms. McMillan is the celebrated author of "Waiting to Exhale" and "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" - both of which were motion pictures. What I consider to be her best novel ("Disappearing Acts") was recently an HBO made for TV movie.
  • These messages are inspiring me to do more work related reading at night...not exxclusively, (looking for balance as recommended) but useful titles to help my clients with their problems. Meanwhile, I can't put down John Adams by David McCullough --- it's not dry at all but filled with the passion of the times for liberty and the incredible struggles of creating a new form of government when the fastest form of communication was horseback transit. Plus it's a marvelous love story about his relationship with Abigail and her influence on the founding of the republic. (In addition, for those of you interested in drawing distinctions between John Quincy and George W, this is full of useful material.) (Sorry, Mike!) I highly recommend it.
  • These are some great reading suggestions. I just finished a book that really opened my eyes to low-wage employment. "Nickled and Dimed," by Barbara Ehrenreich, (sp?), chronicles the writer's year-long effort to survive at jobs that pay more than minimum wage, yet less than a living wage, from waitressing and nursing home work to corporate housecleaning and even Wal-Mart. (Sorry for those of you who work for Wal-Mart, but this book does not improve its image). The best points for me: Noone could "tell" that this Ph.D. was an imposter in a maid's uniform (although she did tone down her resume); and "you need at least two jobs if you want to live indoors." I highly recommend it.
    Also trying to get through "Supreme Injustice" by Alan Dershowitz, detailing the developments leading up to George W. Bush's four years of court-ordered community service. For those who followed the post-election closely, it may not contain any surprises, but it does thoroughly explain the legal machinations and the danger to the separation of powers concept when politics mixes with law. All the footnotes are in the back, which is a bit annoying.
    And when I finish that, I am going to read the latest STephen King book, something like "Dreamcatcher," about a reunion of four longtime friends on a hunting trip that turns strange -- of course.
  • I am halfway through "Wake-Up Calls" by Eric Allenbaugh, Ph.D. It's a great tool for examining your own accountability on the job and in your personal life as well. In regards to the comment on Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" - if you like his work, you won't be able to put this one down. I purposefully left it at work to read on my lunch breaks - otherwise I would have stayed up all night reading this one! Enjoy!
  • just finished "up in the air" by walter kirn which is about a guy who flys all over the usa and consults on firing people(it's a novel)...great read for first 75% of book,terrible after that...also just wrapped up "how to read your customers minds"...very good---it talks about different communication styles and how people process information---don't be put off by the title--lots of good information for hr people ...regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • i'm in the middle of In the Company of Women which deals with how women interact in the workplace and,as my dad would have said,"boy oh boy"(my dad actually talked that way)...it is a real eye opener,especially the parts dealing with when a women is promoted and now supervises her former co-workers...one of the take home points:women are uncomfortable with power--especially over other women--and if they try to exercise it the former co-workers think she has gotten on her high horse and make her life tough...the book notes that the last thing a women should do who gets promoted is to act like a man---instead be self effacing with former colleagues--"gee,i am glad i got the promotion,but it was not as much money as i thought."...also,the authors advise women in the workplace that they should ***NOT*** make a point of talking about big houses they own,lavish parties they throw,or dream vacations they go on--while a man will see these things as the rewards of a guy climing to the top,a woman will see them as a women who has turned her back on what women do in the workplace(which is what they did as cavewomen)which is form alliances to get ahead as a group...i'll mention more as i read on...regards from texas,mike maslanka,214-659-4668
  • Where can I find a book that tells me how to deal with all the men in the workplace. I am thinking the movie "gorillas in the mist" might give me some pointers. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Well Theresa, you could very well have a point about us gorillas but when I reflect on some of the females I've worked for, Alcott's "Little Women" comes to mind. It's Friday (smile).
  • Louisa May Alcott also wrote a book called "Little Men!"

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
  • Two points and a high-five for you, Margaret. I've worked for some of them too.
  • >i'm in the middle of In the Company of Women which deals with how
    >women interact in the workplace and,as my dad would have said,"boy oh
    >boy"(my dad actually talked that way)...it is a real eye
    >opener,especially the parts dealing with when a women is promoted and
    >now supervises her former co-workers...one of the take home
    >points:women are uncomfortable with power--especially over other
    >women--and if they try to exercise it the former co-workers think she
    >has gotten on her high horse and make her life tough...the book notes
    >that the last thing a women should do who gets promoted is to act like
    >a man---instead be self effacing with former colleagues--"gee,i am
    >glad i got the promotion,but it was not as much money as i
    >thought."...also,the authors advise women in the workplace that they
    >should ***NOT*** make a point of talking about big houses they
    >own,lavish parties they throw,or dream vacations they go on--while a
    >man will see these things as the rewards of a guy climing to the top,a
    >woman will see them as a women who has turned her back on what women
    >do in the workplace(which is what they did as cavewomen)which is form
    >alliances to get ahead as a group...i'll mention more as i read
    >on...regards from texas,mike maslanka,214-659-4668

actually,does anyone have any thoughts on this comment?regards from texas,mike maslanka

• It is too bad that there has to be a separate set of rules for men and women. Why shouldn't women be able to speak about that great house that they can now afford? It's like you always hear that if men stand up and say something, they are being assertive and aggressive and it is acceptable, however, when a women would say and act the same way they are being a &#(@&;*. It seems sad that these authors are encouraging women to continue to go along instead of giving suggestions of how to change it. But, I don't have any good suggestions on changing the attitudes of people so maybe they don't either.
  • "Founding Brothers" about those that led the revolution against Great Britain.
    "Seabiscuit" about the horse, racing and society of the day.
    "NYPD" the history of the New York Police Department.
    "Topgrading" hiring the "A" level employee.
    "My War" by Andy Rooney - WWII.
    "Jabez Prayer"
    "War Letters" from the war of northern aggression through Desert Storm. A view of the real world.
    "Get Better or Get Beaten" about Jack Welch

All good.
  • Goes to show that ye old double standard is alive and well. I've counseled numerous people in similar situations. My advice to them, in most cases, is to simply tell the person to "get over it" and if they don't like it, seek employment elsewhere.

These situations really get under my skin. As someone who has done quite well in the business world (if I do say so myself), I've confronted people back in my old neighborhood who accuse me of being a "sell-out." It's a stupid attempt at laying a guilt trip on me for their short comings and failings. I remind them in a New York minute that we grew up in the same neighborhood, rolled with the same street gangs, went to the same schools, had the same teachers, came from broken homes and, all-in-all, had the same opportunities. I chose to work hard and take full advantage of my opportunities. For whatever reasons, they chose not to. So, again, tell them to "get over it."
  • One of my all-time favorite books I read over and over is Jesus CEO by Laurie Beth Jones. No matter what your "religion" is, this book is full of incredible ideas on how to lead and treat all people in an organization. She also offers a daily email called, Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership. More info at; [url]www.jesusceo.com[/url]
  • >One of my all-time favorite books I read over and over is Jesus CEO by
    >Laurie Beth Jones. No matter what your "religion" is, this book is
    >full of incredible ideas on how to lead and treat all people in an
    >organization. She also offers a daily email called, Using Ancient
    >Wisdom for Visionary Leadership. More info at; [url]www.jesusceo.com[/url]

if you had to pick the three points you think are the most valuable,what would they be?... regards from texas,mike maslanka

• Tuesdays With Morrie. It is a really good book for looking at balance.
  • Just finished Lincoln's Greatest Speech,about his second inaugural address, by Ronald C. White.He explains how Lincoln ---in just 703 words---explained the causes and effects of the civil war(God's scourge on both the north and the south for the sin of slavery),and how the prayers of "both could not be answered;that of neither has been answered fully."From a lawyers' viewpoint I found two things of interest.Lincoln describes how the war came to be,and how neither side really understood what it was getting itself into,and when they did it was too late to pull out.It puts it all into 3 words at the end of the speech's first section---"And then the war came." Sound familar?Sounds just like wht happens when parties get involved in a lawsuit that takes on a life of its own.the seond thing is white deconstructs the speech to show how Lincoln evoked feelings and insight.Rhetorical devices lawyers can use.Regards from Texas,Mike Maslanka