Need advice on a voluntary termination

I could use some advice. I left my job after just one year because it was incredibly dysfunctional.  Within the first 2 weeks I questioned having taken then job, but decided to stick it out and see if things got better.  For 8 months I had to report to a person who had a drinking problem, which affected everyone in the department and caused numerous issues.  After an investigation his job was “eliminated”, but there continued to be other issues within the department, and at some point I realized it wasn’t ever really going to improve.  I’ve worked for 25 years and never had such an unpleasant working environment.  For my own mental and physical health I finally decided to leave. I stuck it out through an important deadline for them, then I gave two-weeks’ notice. (Turns out the person I had replaced also quit without a job to go to, so the company should start to wonder about a pattern, but they won’t). 

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

The problem now is how to explain why I voluntarily left this job without another job to go to, particularly in this economy.  I prefer not to say anything negative about a former employer but I have to address it somehow.  Just saying it was a dysfunctional environment doesn’t seem adequate; instead they may wonder if I am just a difficult employee.  I am at a loss as to how to answer this succinctly, and then be able to move on.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="tschaeffer"]

The problem now is how to explain why I voluntarily left this job without another job to go to, particularly in this economy.  I prefer not to say anything negative about a former employer but I have to address it somehow.  Just saying it was a dysfunctional environment doesn’t seem adequate; instead they may wonder if I am just a difficult employee.  I am at a loss as to how to answer this succinctly, and then be able to move on.

[/quote]

I didn't need the money.

I was ready for new challenges but none were available.

Finding the right job is a full time job all by itself.