Paid Military Leave

What do most companies offer in terms of paid military leave for reservists?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How long are they gone? Are you talking when they go TDY for a few weeks at a time (like their two week annual training) or are you talking something longer like mobilizations?

I've never heard of a business around here paying for a reservists to take time off for annual training...it's usually unpaid or they reservist in question takes their earned leave.  But in cases of year long deployments, I know big organizations like Sears were making up the difference in pay for their mobilized employees' military paychecks.

• Yes, I am referring to the two week annual training requirement.  The employee did some research and found the following:

Wachovia Corporation: full pay for up to 180 days;  Duke Energy: full pay for up to one year;  RJ Reynolds Tobacco: differential pay for up to one year;·         Verizon: differential pay for up to 36 months;  Duke University: unpaid leave for the duration of service;  CSX Corporation: differential pay for duration of service;  Grainger Corporation: full pay for up to one year; Morgan Stanley: full pay for up to six months;  ExxonMobil: differential pay for the duration of service; IBM: differential pay for the duration of service; and  First Data Corporation: full pay for up to one year.

Maybe this applies to year long deployments only.   Our policy provides for 5 days of paid leave, and he is requesting this be changed to at least 10.

• Yes, those instances would be for deployments.  And those cases are not because of USERRA or any other federal or State mandate that I'm aware of...it's just the company being more military-friendly.

That's awesome that you offer 5 days of paid time.  Does that count towards his normal leave accrual or is that an extra benefit you offer?  He should be happy he gets that.  Most reservists go way for two weeks and only get their military salary.

• We offer paid military leave, defined as being absent from work due to the performance of military duty on a commissioned or non-commissioned status for the following:

• Voluntary or involuntary basis in a uniformed service: active duty; active duty for training; initial active duty for training; full-time National Guard duty; funeral honors duty by National Guard or reserve members; for an examination to determine fitness for any of the listed forms of duty.

Employees are eligible for up to 15 workdays (120 hrs) per fiscal year. If you have a 24 hr staff such as mine, firefighters, that number would convert to 168 hrs per fiscal year. This includes weekends to the extent that they are a part of the employee's regularly scheduled work time.

This leave is granted in addition to regularly earned annual leave or accrued sick leave.

• Thank you.  This has been very helpful.  Yes, this is an extra 5 days, in addition to his standard PTO allotment. 
  • [quote user="cappy"]

We offer paid military leave, defined as being absent from work due to the performance of military duty on a commissioned or non-commissioned status for the following:

• Voluntary or involuntary basis in a uniformed service: active duty; active duty for training; initial active duty for training; full-time National Guard duty; funeral honors duty by National Guard or reserve members; for an examination to determine fitness for any of the listed forms of duty.

Employees are eligible for up to 15 workdays (120 hrs) per fiscal year. If you have a 24 hr staff such as mine, firefighters, that number would convert to 168 hrs per fiscal year. This includes weekends to the extent that they are a part of the employee's regularly scheduled work time.

This leave is granted in addition to regularly earned annual leave or accrued sick leave.

[/quote]

Aren't firefighters considered civil service/government job though? That's a little different from your average private employer.  When I was full time with the Guard, they gave me 120 hrs of military leave too on top of what I normally earned in sick and annual leave. 

I think when it's a government/civil servcie type job like that, they usually kind of have to be offered military leave.

• [quote]  Aren't firefighters considered civil service/government job though? That's a little different from your average private employer.  When I was full time with the Guard, they gave me 120 hrs of military leave too on top of what I normally earned in sick and annual leave. 

I think when it's a government/civil servcie type job like that, they usually kind of have to be offered military leave.

[/quote]

Our FFs are municipal employees and I agree that sometimes what is allowable, required and/or mandated for municipal employees often differs from the private sector and even can be different than state employees. However I do not know if the military time off is affected by any civil service requirement. Perhaps worthy of note is that the policy I quoted is applied to all city employees (the 120 hrs) from the librarian through the full time public pool life gaurd, public works division and so on. The 168 hrs is a conversion from the 8hr employee to the 24hr employee so that the 24 hr employee will have the same amout of days even though it may appear that the hours are more.

I do not know if we have to offer military leave but that is a good question. I will seek an answer to that question and get back to you. [Y]

• Well I learned something this morning Gi_Jane. Our military leave allotment for our municipal employees is required and mandated by state law. Gosh. . .and thought we were just generous folks. Well you learn something everyday. Thanks for setting me up to research the question.