Document Requirements

I am new to HR & have just joined a small business.  They do not have a HR Manager, COBRA Administrator, etc.  This is all handled in house and now by me.  Where can I find out exactly what is required on a state & national level for the company to be compliant with the laws?  For example, COBRA notification letters upon renewal of a health plan, HIPPA requirements, Emergency Action Plans, etc.. There is so much that I am not sure where to start.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="bdwatson"] I am new to HR & have just joined a small business.  They do not have a HR Manager, COBRA Administrator, etc.  This is all handled in house and now by me.  Where can I find out exactly what is required on a state & national level for the company to be compliant with the laws?  For example, COBRA notification letters upon renewal of a health plan, HIPPA requirements, Emergency Action Plans, etc.. There is so much that I am not sure where to start.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks![/quote]

First, what state are you in?  People in your state and familliar with your state can give you a lot of local resources and potential networking opportunities to help you out.  That, along with item 2, below, will help you get in the loop on training opportunities that you should get your company to pay for (e.g., legal updates, FMLA how-to, etc.)

Second, join SHRM (dot org) - they have tons of resources.  Get your company to pay for it.

Third, enroll in BLR's HR advisor program and get your company to pay for that.

Fourth, use products to get a jump start on any critical programs that may be lacking (e.g., harassment training) by using BLR or similar products.  If you are doing COBRA, see if your insurance company can/will do that for you.  If not, outsource payroll and if you use some services, they will have COBRA administration for you.