Should he be terminated

One of our manager wants to terminate an on-call driver that never picked up a client.  When asked the employee said he did pick up the client and also confirmed it in our system.  However, the client confirmed otherwise and when the employee was confronted again he told the truth and said he didn't pick up the client.  As a result, we have a client that is upset and ended up suspending future pick ups.

Since the driver is an on-call employee the mgr just wants him to go away by not calling him for future jobs in hopes that he will just quit.

I recommended that we should terminate him and let him know the exact reason so we don't keep him hanging and to get him off our books.

Did I give him the right guidance?

FYI...Our on-call drivers are considered employees of ours and only eligible for our 401(k) plan.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="HRBaby"]

One of our manager wants to terminate an on-call driver that never picked up a client.  When asked the employee said he did pick up the client and also confirmed it in our system.  However, the client confirmed otherwise and when the employee was confronted again he told the truth and said he didn't pick up the client.  As a result, we have a client that is upset and ended up suspending future pick ups.

Since the driver is an on-call employee the mgr just wants him to go away by not calling him for future jobs in hopes that he will just quit.

I recommended that we should terminate him and let him know the exact reason so we don't keep him hanging and to get him off our books.

Did I give him the right guidance?

FYI...Our on-call drivers are considered employees of ours and only eligible for our 401(k) plan.

[/quote]

Yes you did the right thing.  Spineless supervisory/managerial habits have a way of coming back to haunt you later with unintended consequences.  Like the person getting hurt on their way in the building to pick up their W-2 next year since they moved and didn't get the first one sent, resulting in workers' comp instead of a settlement with your insurance company.  Just better to call it what it is and move on.  Sets the right tone for other workers, too both in terms of setting expectations and allowing them to see that management will act in a clear manner with people.  Doing nothing could cause a lot of gossip and distraction.

• I completely agree with TXHR - he not only lied to the company, but he also jeopardized the future of the company with that client.  No brainer in my opinion.  TXHR is right as well, if he goes unpunished (and in my definition, not calling him is not a form of punishment) other employees will pick up on it and it will not bode well for your company down the line.
  • Thanks TXHR and SubGrapHR!  I'm glad I provided the right guidance.  It's nice to have a sounding board like this forum, especially when your the only HR person for a small company.