Arizona Unemployment

Not sure where I should post this...so here it is!

If an employee's hours are reduced can they collect unemployment in Arizona. Say they work 16 hours one week, don't work for 3 weeks, work 8 hours the next, etc...can they still collect their weekly benefits without being totally laid off/terminated? Been trying to talk to someone at the UI office to no avail...can't get through the phone line. Thank you!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="Peggy Twinn"]

Not sure where I should post this...so here it is!

If an employee's hours are reduced can they collect unemployment in Arizona. Say they work 16 hours one week, don't work for 3 weeks, work 8 hours the next, etc...can they still collect their weekly benefits without being totally laid off/terminated? Been trying to talk to someone at the UI office to no avail...can't get through the phone line. Thank you!

[/quote]

Most states allow unemployment collection based on a reduction in hours.  Typically, the person would have to have some sort of expectation of hours on a normal schedule that was then reduced to collect.  If you can show that the person was hired with no expectation of hours or with an expectation of highly fluctuating hours, then they are probably not eligible.

• Thanks TXHRGuy. In Arizona there is a Shared Work Plan Program that a company can apply for...but it's restrictive...at least 10% reduction in hours and no more than 40%...at this time we can't gurantee anyone hours. So...we've told employees to apply for unemployment and see where this goes...we have tried numerous times to contact the UI office to no avail...guess they are swamped! I've read thru the doc's online, but doesn't answer this particular question.