Raging Manager

We are a small manufacturing company (fewer than 50 people).  A few months ago we hired a new manager for a very key position--and a very difficult one.  It involves managing a highly skilled yet highly cynical/skeptical workforce; leading them in a brand-new direction--and I know he has some stressful days.  So far he has performed superbly; and upper management and I like him very much; however, as the HR person I am starting to hear reports of bizarre behavior on his part.  An employee just told me that he was having a perfectly ordinary conversation about a task just completed, and and the manager stood up, turned around, took six steps back and ran/lunged just as fast he he could, smashing his face into the wall--then he turned around and sat down in his chair as if nothing had happened.  I have been in the HR biz over 10 years, and I thought I'd heard it all, but I must admit, this is a new one on me!  The employee who reported it said others have seen bits of this behavior, but of course, no one wants to talk to me about it.  Even the person who reported it "doesn't want his name used," etc.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

His typical demeanor is very thoughtful and intelligent--almost professorial; projecting great commitment to the company and the people who report to him.  He puts in at least 50 hours a week.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  His rage wasn't directed at the employee, but it still has a flavor of violence.  We are still very early in his tenure here, so this is just coming to surface.  As with other policies on the subject of confidentiality, our policy clearly states we cannot keep accusations of harassment or discrimination confidential, but reports of people smashing their faces into a wall?  The employee said he stopped by to see me just to vent.  We are going to meet in the morning to decide how to handle it.  I am fairly new with the company, and I am still trying to get the floor personnel to trust me--so I want to handle this in a way where the the person making the report doesn't get hurt.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="HRBusybee"] As with other policies on the subject of confidentiality, our policy clearly states we cannot keep accusations of harassment or discrimination confidential, but reports of people smashing their faces into a wall? [/quote]

Just as a thought, could you also include by the nature of your policy things that are detrimental to the employee? This is bizarre behavior that should not be ignored. Are you are getting consistent reports from several different people that have no ax to grind? Is there unexplained bruising about his face or other physical evidence that may make you say "Gezz 'Stan' what happened to you? Can I help?"

Is someone in the company close enough to simply talk to the manager and inquire if there is something going on or if what you have heard is true. I'm afraid that there will be no easy way to approach this matter either with getting witnesses to record their observations or with speaking to the manager.

As a final thought though you are new sometimes when such matters of serious concern come up you as the HR manager may have to become proactive. The person that is hurting is the manager (of course you already know that) and any worker would be protected from retaliation.

By the way a person that will run face first into a wall either for shock value or for any other reason, has enough energy absorbed by the head and neck area to cause a severe cervical neck injury that could lead to paralysis or death. There could also be minor brain concussions (contra-coo) if this is done often enough, hard enough or if the head is struck the right way.  

• I had an employee with a seizure disorder who did things like that.

After each case, she would have absolutely zero recollection of what happened.  She would have no idea how she got to where she was and was strangely dismissive of any discussion of what had happened.  She would want to get back to whatever she was doing as if nothing had happened.

• [quote user="TXHRGuy"]

I had an employee with a seizure disorder who did things like that.

After each case, she would have absolutely zero recollection of what happened.  She would have no idea how she got to where she was and was strangely dismissive of any discussion of what had happened.  She would want to get back to whatever she was doing as if nothing had happened.

[/quote]

I've seen that as well. I sure would like to know the eventual outcome with the employee.

• To clarify I have seen this as a matter of my profession. Appropriate referrals were made to the patient or the complainant as the case may be. Seeing a medical doctor, referral to EAP groups of they existed, seeking community assistance from other community based groups, ECR or other advice. I have not had an employee that has done this or had this condition.

• This manager is not "raging," nor does he need anger management.  This is a medical/mental health issue that must be addressed promptly. The next time he could smash another employee's head into the wall, so this is really a security issue. 

Perhaps a first step would be to keep the employee from working 50 hours per week.

• [quote user="IrisD"] The next time he could smash another employee's head into the wall, so this is really a security issue. [/quote]

Although I don't see anything in the record to suggest that there is any reason to suspect imminent threat of harm to another, that doesn't mean we should dismiss it as a possibility since the condition is not understood.

It's clearly time for an ADA conversation.  As the conversation relates to the health of the employee (and possibly the health of other employees), the inquiry is acceptable.

• I would also think some kind of investigation is in order, starting, of course, with the head-ramming manager.  I appreciate the employee's desire to speak 'off the record," but this is potential safety issue and I would want to get input from other employees as well.