HR Re-org

Due to budget constraints, our HR Director is looking to move in the direction of HR Generalist's for myself and a co-worker (both of us exempt) and HR Coordinator and HR Coordinator II for non-exempt staff.  I'm looking for any feedback/suggestions as to how to evenly divide up duties between my co-worker and I?  I work in Comp/Benefits and my co-worker works in Staffing, however we will be splitting the generalist duties evenly (i.e. benefits, perf. reviews, recruiting, training, unemployment, etc).  We have approximately 1400 employees and were initially thinking of splitting some of the paperwork processing alphabetically and the employee/mngt interaction by department, so that manager's have a primary person to go to for everything.

Just wondering if anyone else has recently gone through a similar re-org. and any suggestions/feedback to make the move go as smoothly as possible.

thank you!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="6414213"]

Due to budget constraints, our HR Director is looking to move in the direction of HR Generalist's for myself and a co-worker (both of us exempt) and HR Coordinator and HR Coordinator II for non-exempt staff.  I'm looking for any feedback/suggestions as to how to evenly divide up duties between my co-worker and I?  I work in Comp/Benefits and my co-worker works in Staffing, however we will be splitting the generalist duties evenly (i.e. benefits, perf. reviews, recruiting, training, unemployment, etc).  We have approximately 1400 employees and were initially thinking of splitting some of the paperwork processing alphabetically and the employee/mngt interaction by department, so that manager's have a primary person to go to for everything.

Just wondering if anyone else has recently gone through a similar re-org. and any suggestions/feedback to make the move go as smoothly as possible.

thank you!

[/quote]

I recently reorganized a customer care group and we went away from divind things up by alphabet.  People don't distribute evenly across the letters.  In our environment, we have a supervisor who tracks work requirements and makes assignments and everyone answers the phone.  Because you are looking at a peer-to-peer relationship, perhaps you should have a weekly meeting divide the upcoming tasks and acknowledge the need to adjust during the week as necessary.  Personally, for a company of that size, I like the idea of cross training and hate the idea of pretending that a comp/benefits person and a staffing professional are somehow interchangeable.

• We went through an HR re-org at my last organization--serviced about 1500 ee's.  I think that supervisors need a consistant contact in HR who is very familiar with their department/division and their people.  A major benefit of a generalist is that a single person is familiar with all HR aspects of an area.  We divided the servicing by department/division, trying to ensure that everyone was servicing approximately the same number of employees.  The HR assisstants were also divided the same.  Obviously, we covered each others areas when necessary.
  • Thanks for your feedback - I appreciate it!