Employee Handbooks

Does everyone still print out employee handbooks and give copies to employees or is there handbook on the company website and you refer the employee to the website? 

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have ours on the company intranet but I still have the employees sign for it when I do orientation and I hit a few key points within the handbook.  Sorry I do not know the legalities of needing the signed receipt but i still feel more comfortable having it.
  • [quote user="6274086"]I have ours on the company intranet but I still have the employees sign for it when I do orientation and I hit a few key points within the handbook.  Sorry I do not know the legalities of needing the signed receipt but i still feel more comfortable having it.
    [/quote]

We do the same thing when we give out a handbook.  It's so he/she can't come back and say, "I never got one!" when we have his/her signature saying he/she did.

• I like to have it on paper, where people will take it home and think of it as a home activity, when it comes to production environments.  When you put it on the intranet, people will spend production time reading it there.  "What, you mean I can't read the handbook on the intranet?"  Seems like a good question.  Not a lot of good answers that don't make it look like a fist inside the velvet glove.

• I have seen companies that put it on the intranet and also companies that pass it out.  It really is going to depend on your environment.  If you have a lot of employees that don't use a computer for their daily work duties and may not use one at home either than putting it on your intranet is not really a good idea.  You need to know your employees to gauge if this is a good idea.  I think no matter what you do you should have the employee sign a paper copy of the acknowledgement. 

All of my employees use a computer for their daily duties, but I still print mine out and have the employee sign the acknowledgement.  I just like to be able to say I handed it to them and they signed this paper acknowledgement that they received it.

• We have ours both online and in hard copy. When I do a new hire orientation I personally review everything in the handbook with the new hire (by order of our new VP) and then allow them time to ask any questions or ask for clarification on any of the content. Then I have them sign a receipt and acknowledgement stating that they received the handbook, it was reviewed with them in the process of their orientation and that they understand the content. We also have a copy of the handbook posted on our intranet, but that's just for employees who have "misplaced" their copy and want to look something up regarding one of the company policies......I would be shocked if someone actually downloaded our handbook off of our intranet and read it..........