Employee Free Choice Act

Everywhere I turn lately, I'm reading about the Employee Free Choice Act. Did something happen with this bill? I thought it was voted down in the Senate. I'm thinking all the press is related to thinking that it will be law if we have a Dem President and majorities in both houses. Anyone know of anything else triggering all this news?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think anything's happened with EFCA -- yet.  You're right--it's the election that has generated the buzz on this.  People on both sides are pretty passionate and they want to get their messages heard before next Tues.  McCain says he'd veto the law, and Obama supports it.  If it passes next year, employers should be ready for a lot more unionizing activities.
  • I'm just reading that EFCA has been introduced in Congress.  Does anyone know if this law will affect small companies (under 20 employees)? Any ideas on how small companies can prepare for this--or should we just wait and see?
  • [quote user="Chicago1"]I'm just reading that EFCA has been introduced in Congress.  Does anyone know if this law will affect small companies (under 20 employees)? Any ideas on how small companies can prepare for this--or should we just wait and see?[/quote]

EFCA will affect every business that can be unionized.  Generally, that means every company that has 2 or more employees (at least 2 are required to engage in "concerted activity").  The general thrust of this is that it will probably be easier for unions to get certification because what amounts to a petition will suffice where a hidden ballot election used to be required.

• I've been reading that employers have to be proactive regarding EFCA, but I'm not sure exactly what we can do or say to employees without getting into legal trouble.  Anyone have a good source for information on this?