Food Not Good Enough for Family--Feed It to Co-workers

Did anyone see the letter to the editor in this month's Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine?  A woman wrote in that she put 2 cups of rum in a recipe rather than 2 jiggers.  She wouldn't feed it to her family, so she brought it in to her coworkers.  My husband tells me that one of his colleagues brings in "older" food and puts it out on the community table to share.

This doesn't happen here, but I can't believe that anyone would feed something to their coworkers they wouldn't feed to their own families.  Is this a latent form of hostility or just lack of good judgment?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I didn't see the letter you are talking about.  I don't agree with bringing in "older" food, but we have quite a few people that bring in extra food if they have a party or event and have leftovers that they are not going to be able eat before it goes bad.  Most of my employees are appreciative of food like this that is brought in. 

You would hope that someone would not bring something in that they would not feed to their own family.  However, there may be a situation that members of the family all don't like a particular food or are allergic to an ingredient and so they bring it in to share so that they are not wasting food. 

• I think people don't really put thought into what they are doing.  They are reluctant to throw food away for fear of seeming wasteful and so they foist it upon their coworkers instead.  That makes them feel less guilty about it.
  • Around here, we have a few college-aged boys/men who will eat anything not attached to the table.  We often have "leftovers" from the CEO's private events, company catered parties, etc.  I have yet to have an employee complain about any free food.  It usually disappears within a few hours.  And honestly, we have some really good cooks here.

We have a couple of older ladies who like to cook but have no one to cook for at home beyond their spouse. So they often make a large pot of soup/stew/chili/pasta salad and share it with the office. Many times it is their way of "giving back" to the employer since financially they have no way to do so. 

But I wouldn't bring an item that such as the one in the original post....that is where I read the recipe wrong and it tasted wrong/bad.