Study employees' primary language?

Many of our employees speak another language as their primary language or only language. It's not a language that is given at adult education or community colleges.  To study it, I would have to purchase one of those software or audio programs.  Do you think I could learn enough from such a program to help me converse about HR issues with employees?  The company won't reimburse me for anything except an onsite or online course. Would this effort be worth the time and money to me?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If it will help your employees better understand HR issues and benefits, it could be worth it.  How much is the software?  How many employees are you dealing with?  Are any of them fluent in English?  If so, it may be better for you to use one of them to translate for you (in non-confidential matters) since they may be able to more accurately explain and do not risk as much misunderstanding as you may encounter learning on an elementary level.

You're going to have to do some sort of cost-benefit analysis for yourself to help you decide what is the best method to take.

-E.

• i think your company's money would be better spent on sending the employees to english language classes or bringing an instructor into your workplace for the employees. i doubt you could learn enough through software to be able to explain complex hr issues in the other language.
  • Cambodian.

One of the managers speaks the language, but it is uncomfortable using her to translate because she can be a gossip.

I would like to suggest onsite ESL classes to management. But I'm new and the HR Director isn't too hot on that idea.